How to bring your car to Malaysia

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Malaysia, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Malaysia?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Malaysia, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Malaysia?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Well I didn't bring my car here , since I wanted to buy new so I did that ..

Although you can come by road by taking clearance ( only if you own the car and no loans on that ) , you can take clearance on border , that's how people are traveling to BKK from Delhi by road .. ( check over google ) then get new number here in JPJ .. for more info you should visit nearest JPJ office .. there were few agents used to move car/bike from Chennai to KL as well , I haven't contacted actually but you can try that as well .. I hope my comments would help you a bit.

I mean my comments are only for Indian citizens, not sure about others

Hi,

No, I did not bring my car here.  So i really don't know what the process if you bring your own.  What i heard is that cars are cheaper here, so if it'll cost you a lot bringing your own, moght as well buy here.

Hope this helps.

I bought car from Malaysia. But I know my friend brought his car from Australia. But as I understood, it was not so easy to get Malaysian plate.
Sure you are aware of left traffic in Malaysia

Its inadvisable.

You can bring anything you want, including a car, but you have to pay the import tax and other charges which may amount to 200% on the value Customs puts on the vehicle, not the value you claim. Your $5000 car could wind up costing $15,000. Is it worth it? Now, you can reclaim that tax if you leave the country within 90 days. Some people leave and return repeatedly to try to escape the tax but sooner or later that wont work anymore. Often, you can find cars and bikes for sale for nothing, basically free, because the owner cant or wont pay the tax. Its truly a messy thing and the best advice is to ditch the idea and buy something locally.

That said, some people are intrepid and dont care the costs or troubles of importing. Im not one of them but maybe someone will come in and explain how and what they did.

We didn't bring our car as import duty was about 200%. Cars are cheaper in India however you get a decent car(2nd hand)  at reasonable price in Malaysia. Almost all cars are Automatic and RHD.