How to bring your car to Madagascar

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Madagascar, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Madagascar?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Madagascar, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Madagascar?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Most cars come to madagascar from France (a lot of red tape and tax )  Belgium is the best place to send a car from if I was you I would buy of the side of the street in the capital tana a small car 1.2 lt 2015 will cost about 23 000 000 ar and a 4x4 pickup Nissan will be 60 000 000 ar same age £15000 €17 000 get a 4x4 the roads are bad very very bad look up allyinport

I'm just about to pick up my SUV off the ship my SUV it's worth about 18.000 thousand dollars in us they want me to pay 12.000 US dollars in taxes everything is corrupted here be aware don't trust anyone do your homework first…Good Luck everyone

@gmike yeah, we just found out that anything worth more than 100 USD is taxed to holy hell. 😔

@gmike

Hi

I'm sorry for this behaviour of Malagasy customs.

Basically a friend of mine sent a car worth 1000€ from France . When arrived in Tamatave, the authorities asked for 3500€ there.

So he  obviously disagreed with that . At the end the corrupted Port officials  kept his car .

Guys do not send your car there unless you know someone very important who is working at customs .

Just buy cars  locally .

Good luck 

@Bhavna

Hi

Welcome in advance in Madagascar

Please do not import your car  because the  corrupted official will ruin your money.

Better to buy in Madagascar .You have new, or second hand car as well for sell in Madagascar

And as described by someone here, the roads are very bad .

So think about  buying  (or renting ) a SUV or a small SUV  .

Regards