How to bring your car to Ghana

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Ghana, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Ghana?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Ghana, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Ghana?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

I bought my car in Belgium and it was shipped by the company from whom I bought it. I had to insure the vehicle and upon arrival, I paid far too much for clearing it from Tema.  Knowing what i know now, I should have purchase the car here in Ghana.

There are restrictions as to the age of the car and also it must be left hand drive. Duties are also high.
Buying a car here can be risky but we have bought from Expats who were leaving and got a good deal.
My husband imported two used cars from Japan and they are still going strong after 7+ years but it is not easy to find left hand drive cars from Japan

I put a car in my container when I moved from the US to Ghana and I certainly regret it. The import tax they imposed was more than the car was worth and the headache of clearing it. It was used and I could have purchased a much better car after I got there for less than the amount of tax they imposed.

Yes, I agree with the previous post that referenced buying a car from an expat. There are usually plenty that are leaving that are ready to get rid of their car for a reasonable and trustworthy price.