How to bring your car to France

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to France, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in France?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in France, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in France?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

It depends of the model/year/factory/country of the car, make a phone call to customer/after sale service of your car brand, they will tell you everything.

cheers

No I don't bring a car ...its better if you don't have a car here because parking its hard to find second transportation here is quiet convenient so why should have a car....?

I think the only way you can bring your car is by shipping it. There are many shipping companies in Mumbai who would do that. You also need to obtain an international permit from India itself. But to be honest I think it's not really worth it as you could rather buy a car in france for that same amount and effort.

I' got a quotation through shipping from France to India (1600€) with CGM
But think over the fact that we drive on the left in india and right in france
so the steering wheel is a big problem i think
Gérard

The process for obtaining the carte grise can be a nighmare.  My wife imported a Mercedes 500 CLK  with expensive alloy wheels and "Z" rated tires (150 Mph).  this model was never sold in France, but that was not a real problem, but non-homologated collector car would be a real problem.  But in order to use the car it has to be 100% stock.  This means i have to junk the alloy wheels and replace the tires with ordinary lower quality tires.  I can't sell the car, and i don't want to spend the money to replace all the performance features, and i am thinking i will need to ship it back to California.

Darling34 wrote:

No I don't bring a car ...its better if you don't have a car here because parking its hard to find second transportation here is quiet convenient so why should have a car....?

If you live out in the countryside and middle of nowhere people still needs cars to get to work, do shopping.

prathyushram wrote:

I think the only way you can bring your car is by shipping it.

There are other countries that border France. Cars can be brought over from there and countries that border them.

Why don't you drive your car all the way from India to France? You could use Google MAPS for directions.

Secondly please don't mind me when i say this, Unless you have a sentimental connection with your car that you want to drive that same fellow here in France as well. It sounds so funny for me to find an Indian Car in France which has a right hand driver seat unlike the difference in French Cars. Unless your car is super special then I don't see any other reason why you could not afford to buy a car in France itself which of course are a lot more superior than any Indian Car.

The question was bringing a car into France, this could be anywhere. Not just India. People also have classic cars and it is worth paying that extra to bring them to France.