How to make friends in Perth

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Perth :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Perth??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I'd love to know too!

Try joining a club like Welcome 2 Perth - coffee  mornings etc. Or rugby clubs, like shamboks.

Check out perth.thesouthafrican.com for more

felle wrote:

I'd love to know too!

God so would i LOl

If anyone of you decided to form an Expat club, let me know.  I would like to join..... :D

hiya, im new on this forum...yeah me too. if there is a club going can someone let us know? anyone living in the thornlie/canning vale area?

I know a lot of SA'ners from work mainly.
I work wayyyy too many hours.
Church is another good place to meet 'em. If you are into that.

I've met a couple of friends through work but I think church is a good idea also.

Hi, anybody any tips on finding a room in perth. Would really preferr to move in with Irish as i have been livingwith Irish buddies since I have been here. Most have returned home which is unfortunate.

Hi lukemcguirk! You are off topic! Could you please post in thePerth classifieds > accommodation section.

Thank you and good luck
Christine

Hi, I'm new here, but not new to Perth. Those of you looking for a club, do you know about Meetup.com? There are dozens of clubs to get involved in, and I happen to run one for American Expats.

Hiya!  i've just moved to Perth too...would love to meet new friends :)  Anyone game for a meetup?

Hi
Where have you come from & where are you situated in Perth?

Any South Africans know of a South African Club in Perth, where 'Saffas' can meet?

We have been in perth for a long time. To be honest, as rule with Perth borne and bred folk , it is hard to break into their circles as they are tightly bound up with school friends and family. But when you do - it is wonderful! When we came here in '97, we decided not to join any expat clubs, but experience life and culture of Perth. Otherwise you have constant backward looking conversations about the best pub in Aberdeen etc.
So how to do it? Join clubs and get involved (however briefly), and let the locals learn to trust you - be patient!
If you are in a rush, borrow a dog and turn up at the same park for a few days. Dogs are a huge ice breaker! Similarly with kids at schools. In both cases, the same message applies - be prepared to get involved if you want to make friends!

We arrived in Perth in January 2011 and also found it difficult to meet friends at first. So I set up a facebook group called yummymummiesinperth, and have over 300 members.  I've just launched a family networking and information website called buggybuddys.com.au to help families meet new friends.  We have a large Aussie, American, British, Canadian and South African membership, with a sprinkling of European's, Kiwi's and Asians.

It's free to join and the website also has listings of local services, parks, playgrounds, kids activities and possibly the largest events listing in Perth.

We have 2 netball teams, hobbicraft groups, walking groups, a dads group, single parents, FIFO/DIDO, you name it, they're on it!

Anyway, I set up the website as I love helping people making new friends and think that it's difficult to make new friends anywhere you go as everyone is already establish.  But Perth is a little different as they're so many migrants here, everyone is in the same boat...we just need a little help to get us together ;-)

Lorraine xxx