How to make friends in Melbourne

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Melbourne :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Melbourne??

Thanks in advance for your participation

DEAR ALL TO BE CONNECTED MY FRIENDS
I WANT TO SHARE GOOD NEWS, PROBLEMS, SORROWFUL NEWS AND OTHER RELATED MATTERS.
THANKS
JAFRI

When I moved here late last year, I had no friends. All the people I knew were my husband's friends and my in laws. Although they are great people and I feel very blessed that they have been very supportive and helpful with our move, I felt I still needed to meet people on my own. Here are some of the things I have done:

1. If you have kids - although it gets tiring that you have to start all over again, make friends with your kids' parents. It will be hard to find thing to talk about, but eventually you'll find common ground. You just need to push yourself abit.

2. Use your network of friends! - before moving here, I literally emailed all the people in my address book asking if any of them have friends living in Melbourne. I had to replies, but funny enough, a few weeks before my move, contacts started coming in! Turned out I had an old highschool friend who was living here. We met up after not seeing each other since we graduated from highschool! Unfortunately she moved back to Manila. Then I met 2 other ladies who were introduced to me by friends in Hong Kong. Turns out they live only a few streets away! I have since met 2 more who were also introduced to me by other friends.

3. I'm going to start looking into teaching jewellery making again. I'm hoping this will lead to new frienships.

4. I've signed up for some lessons. I'm sure that will lead to some friendships too!

Hope my suggestions help.

Try the Newcommers Network. It is a great set up for both expats and internationals. They just celebrated their 10th birthday. Sue Ellen is the founder and she hosts a number of regular events. (moderated: no free ads)

Cheers,

Alex

Expat.com wrote:

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Melbourne :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Melbourne??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Join things like clubs, associations, churches,try to make one new contact each day .Tony

Hi Tony,
Very good question!
I just moved to Melbourne a couple of weeks ago with my boyfriend. So I did not come alone to melbourne but looking for ways to meet people also. I think, looking around, most melbourians meet people through sports and sport clubs.

Cheers,
Nynke

Try the concerts, festival ... Autralian are easy speakers and so frendly