How to make friends in Sydney

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Sydney :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Sydney??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Hi

I find the best thing to do is to join and club or orgaisation, There are loads of clubs out there that meet regulary and its a good way to get talking to other people that you would not normarly meet.

Also going to fitness classes like yoga ect is another good way to meet people or you can just do it the old fashioned way and go down to the local pub pull up a stool and start chatting away to the bar man ect!

The Sydney expat network can also help ;)

The best advice I would give is avoid saying things like

Sydney is just soooo far from everywhere else
I'm only passing through, I don't really want to stay
Where's the nearest English/ French etc bar?

Sydney people are great but very wary of expats cause so many of us pass through there on high speed. If you want to make friends, consider staying longer than your first contract or most of your friends will be other expats.

That was my experience anyhow - tough at the start, then great when I put down some roots.

I think this forum is a good place to look for friends :)

There's a good chance my little family will be putting down roots in Sydney or very near.  I'm hoping having a six year old who's not at all shy will help, but I reckon going along to a dance class or similar might help me and getting my other half going to Judo would be good.

Facebook is a good place to find people in other countries. I found a Spanish Community there so I can't wait to meet more Spanish people.

I agree with niamhg you cann't start saying negative things about sydney otherwise wont be able to meet people. Besides, Australia is a great place, people is really friendly, welcoming and open. Enjoy the sun!

When I feel lonely I try to go to a park with a book and sit down underneath of a tree and read read read! It makes me forget about everything else!

There is also the pomzinoz forum and the saaustralia forum.
Literallt thousands of posts and people one there..

Well, my advice is to go to a good gym which as all yoga and dancing classes and all sorts of acitivites and social work.
In that way while maintaining your health and fitness there is high chance of meeting new friends and all
Good luck!

I would suggest, try meetup.com this is the best place where you can find new faces ;)

Hi!

I went to Be My Wingman on Tuesday, speed friending for girls. Met loads of new friends.
Might be worth a try!

I heard about be my wingman, I'm glad you recommend it, I think I'll go along now.

Also Dating safaris looks great and a few people have told me they met heaps of people through it, but you need a couple of friends to do it with.

Has anyone tried meet up yet?  :)

Hi Im moroccan I speack in french fluently and a little in english.

I wish have know u more

Regards

Leila

hello! im brazilian and I can speak portuguese (similar to spanish) and english

I live in Sydney about 7 years, What do you wanna know about sydney I will help you if i can probably!
feel free to ask, and make friends email: [email protected]

regards
WB

I'm from the UK and yeah wow would be good to find some friends here in Sydney.

There's a certain beauty in being a lone wolf. You have more time to do the things you want to do, like take introspective walks, read books, write and other solitary endeavors.

But now I would like to make friends.

Thanks mods sorry about that.

Go to all kinds of social events, there's events in Sydney every weekend just show up and be friendly. I also find it extremely easy to make friends in workshops and small extra-curriculum classes in university
And it's summer, go to the beach!

Hi Guys,

We all are out here to meet and make new friends. We have come up with various advices but lets keep it simple. Lets arrange a day, time and place to meet up. If atleast two people raise their hands to meet up on this forum we can arrange the meet and get to know each other.

We dont need dating sites or frienship clubs.. just an effort to meet.. lets call it a blindfriendship date :).. let me know your thougts

Hey "sumit-syd" ! I might be the first raising hand :)
Your idea seems good to me, a meeting somewhere and someday would be nice.

Hi Laura,

Thanks and congrats on being the first one :). I hope others come forward as well and we can organise a meet soon.

What do you normally do in weekends or weekights? would be good to know the preference of everyone (a weekend or weeknight). The location would be city (hopefully will be convinient for all).

hi, this is great.. I am usually free on weekends. so if you guys organize something pls post here and let us know! : ) Cheers

Hey all,

I am also in if something is organised!! If anyone has a meet in mind i am happy to help organise. Any suggestions?

Andy

I just found this site..Just moved to sydney from Dublin. Would love to attend a get together if one is arranged :)

Hello and welcome to Expat.com! :)

You may organise an Expat.com meet up in Sydney. You should start a new topic on the Sydney forum, suggest a place, date and time. ;)

Hola, soy cristina,vivo en sydney y quiero conocer personas con las que pueda compartir.

Hi Crissta,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Could you please write in English in this anglophone forum. Or you can interact in Spanish in the hispanophone Sydney forum.

Thank you very much,
Christine,
Expat.com team

Hello! I have been living in Sydney for 6 years now and it is quite easy to make friends! Just go to a class or whatever you are passionate about, be it yoga, photography, salsa dancing, painting or a gym whatever and get chatting! I made most of my friends attending photo classes at ACP in Paddington.
Flat sharing is a great way too! go to gumtree.com.au

ASK ME !
padreralph.wordpress.com

love
Marie