Americans possibly moving to Barcelona

Hi everyone.  My wife and I are going to move from the US to Europe in the next 1-2 years.   We have narrowed it down to Lisbon and Barcelona.  We really like both places a lot.    While Barca is much more touristy than Lisbon, its location is much more convenient to travel to the rest of Europe.   

I am wondering how other people have felt about moving to Barca if you don't speak Spanish?   We plan on learning, but at first, we will be relying on English.  In Lisbon, English seems much more common.   Also, I have heard about there being some changes where Barcelona is "forcing" expats to purchase apartments a bit further out of the city.   Is that true?   

I appreciate any feedback.

Jeff

Hello,

THe problem is you need a visa, and to have a visa, you must find a job before to come... And with the high rate of unemployment and the none-management of Spanish language...

Actually, we will be retired and will NOT be working.   Also, we will be participating in the Golden Visa program, so we will have temporary residency.

nyyfan30, I did not hear about the possibility of restricting expats to live/purchase outside of central Barcelona although I understand the sentiment as the government must be looking for ways to tamp down housing prices in high demand areas.  Other countries are thinking of similar policies.  Hard to believe that Spain would consider such a policy as part of the golden visa program but I would love to hear more if you have any further information.

I am also considering a Spanish golden visa but also Portugal which is cheaper and I think more flexible and easier to get a passport.

As a die-hard NYY fan and a native New Yorker, I wish you the best of luck.

Hi,

English is not a problem at all in Barcelona, indeed it is, because it took me more time to really speak in Spanish because most of the people speak English here, the only "issue" could be for paperwork and administration but you can easily find somebody to do it for you . A little specificity it is always good to know at least a bit of catalan.

@Stefifi Barcelona is different from the rest of Spain quite easy to find a job not speaking Spanish especially in Tech