Got a Job Offer in College of Applied Sciences

Hi all,

I got a job offer from Ministry of higher education oman in Sohar as Assistant Prof. with a salary of 1745 OMR all inclusive (housing not included). Is it a reasonable salary for a married couple with one child? Anyone know about the usual contract durations in teaching sector? As they did not mention it (awaiting email reply as well). And also about flexibility for joining? any ideas? Looking for your valuable suggestions and guidance.

Congratulations on getting job. Before flying to Oman u just be ready with your offer letter and becareful about ur designation during labour card registration. What these Omani often do is they don't mention higher level designation because ministry has scrutinies each and every aspect as like job ration local to expatriate if it fit in their records they will allow you as assistant professor.
For this what sponsorer will do they will mention low level staff such as clerk etc.so becareful about this what designation they have mentioned in offer letter should must be same during medical ministry office in Oman,once the medical is done with the designation mentioned in the form it won't be changed till your contract Completes.
Coming to your salary it's very sufficient u can save almost 60% as in Oman it is not expensive. In sohar u will get under 400Omr flats food and vegetables and domestic appliances are available at very reasonable price.of course u come to know and carry your country driving licence too it may help u to be exempt 2 driving test in Oman.

Thank you munawar for your reply and information. Do you have any ideas about normal contract duration in education sector (1 year or two years etc)?

No friend but normally employment visas are of two years but any how u will get confirmation on receiving ur visa don't worry. And this forum really help u see all posts related to ur query

Thank you munawar

Hello. Typically the Ministry contracts for profs are for 2 years, and are renewed more or less automatically barring other circumstances, such as reduced enrollment, cancellation of the department, or firing. Once you turn 60 your contract will be one year, with the possibility of renewing at the discretion of the college. You may be asked to relocate, either at the end of an academic year or any semester, depending on the needs of other Colleges. (I work at a College of Applied Sciences in Salalah but am hired through an agency; also I am an English lecturer, not a prof, so there is some discrepancy in our contracts. Some of the English lecturers are direct-hire/i.e. Ministry.)
I don't know what you are asking about 'flexibility in joining' - if you mean as far as commencement date, it would be the beginning of fall/winter semester 2017, that is, August 27th or thereabouts. But they may expect you to start earlier, to attend meetings and so forth.
I would concur that 1750 OMR is a generous salary given the relatively low cost of living. Muscat is the only really expensive city, due to high rents, upscale restaurants, etc.. But none of the Colleges are located in Muscat.

Dear all,

I got a same offer to work as a physics  assistant professor grade C at Rustaq "propably". They didn't tell much details about when it starts, they just asked for a copy of my documents. Any idea about how long does it take to sign the contract and what are the next steps?.

I do appreciate your reply

This is a very similar situation with me too. My offer is in sohar probably. Let's talk in private chat

Thanks for the detailed reply.