Mrs. Dash

Have any of y'all seen Mrs Dash brand spices around Saigon?

Is there some local brand of salt-free spice mixes that is just as good or better?

They usually have it at the international stores (there are two) down by the sailing tower bldg. I order most of that on Amazon and it is as cheap or cheaper though.

Much obliged! I'll recon these places asap.

I was severely chastised last April for misidentifying several spices that I felt had Vietnamese equivalents.  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=646721
I think what I failed to express properly back then was the idea that one should not be trying to exactly replicate one's home culinary experience but relish and most importantly learn as much as possible about Vietnamese cuisine and seasonings.  I don't mean that you need to learn every Vietnamese dish, but learn a few and then branch out from there, mixing and matching.  This is the basis of the recent rage in what is called "fusion" cuisine.

The OP certainly shows some flexibility in his comment that he could look at "some local brand of salt-free spice mixes."  Unfortunately local mixes are likely loaded with salt, MSG and even sugar.  It would entail a fair time investment, including going up some blind alleys, but the ultimate solution for someone who loves cooking would be to learn as much as possible about local spices, particularly fresh components.  Of course this is easy for me to say because I just eat what my wife puts in front of me.  :cheers: