Work Permit

Hi, thinking of moving to Mauritius. Do you need an offer of employment before you are able to apply for a work permit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Before answering your question, here's an insight into the matter.

To work in Mauritius, you either need a 'Work Permit' or an 'Occupation Permit - Professional'.

They are systematically different.

A WP is delivered by the Ministry of Labour. However, it is granted only for some specific industries, particularly manufacturing, after an employer has made a request to the Ministry and provided valid reasons as to why he want to employ foreigners.
As such, technically, one cannot apply for a WP, it stems from the employer first.

An OP-Professional allows a highly trained and qualified professional to live and work in Mauritius provided the latter has secured a work contract with a local company and is liable to a min. monthly salary of MUR 60,000. [An exception is made for the Information & Technology sector where the min. salary is set at MUR 30,000]
Contrary to a WP, an OP is delivered by the Board of Investment, an arm of the office of Prime Minister in Mauritius.

A job offer is critical. Without this you can't apply for work permit or occupation permit. WinstonH post is quite precise on the conditions.

Foreigners would normally check employment websites or email their CVs to potential employers. Others come on a business or tourist visa and contact the employers onsite. Once the job offer is confirmed, if you are on a tourist visa, you have to leave and re-enter on a business visa (for Occupation Permit). If opting for a work permit, you cannot stay and live while the application is made and in process.

Hope this helps

Right on.

However if I may add something about OP-Professional and I don't know if this applies to all sectors but when it comes to finance and ICT, it looks like the companies themselves went on an international head-hunting campaign rather than foreigners sending their CVs or coming here and contacting potential employers.

I would guess networking between international branches of large and important companies do contribute significantly towards an expat securing a job.

Hi, thanks for the info. So essentially I would need an offer of employment. Then come over to Mauritius on a Business visa from South Africa. Once in Mauritius I can then apply for an OP via the BOI?

How long does the OP application usually take? I'm assuming I won't be able to start working without the OP?

Thanks again

The OP take anything between 10-15 working days, from the day you present original documents to the BOI. The first part is submitting the application through the online system. Once this is done, you get an appointment to present your physical / paper documents.