Would like to meet expats in Costa Rica

Hi, I'm Sue and here on holiday with my husband in the Guanacasta region. We would very much like to meet any expats, from all countries, who might be able to answer some of our more difficult questions we have about moving here permanently. We're here until the 16th May, 2017. Thanks!

Weirwoman wrote:

Hi, I'm Sue and here on holiday with my husband in the Guanacasta region. We would very much like to meet any expats, from all countries, who might be able to answer some of our more difficult questions we have about moving here permanently. We're here until the 16th May, 2017. Thanks!

Hola Weirwoman,

Welcome to expat.com!

Were you wanting to personally meet with people or just post your questions online?  Have you looked through previous posts?  You may find answers to some of your questions there/here.

If you guys are ever over in the San Ramon, Alajuela area, I'd be happy to meet and answer any questions you might have.  Just send a private message if you'd like to meet.

- Expat Dave

It may help to get a response to your request, if you give us a hint  :unsure in regards to  some of (y)our more difficult questions as it would be worthless to you if we don't have the 'specific information' you require. Guanacaste is a large province so someone from a different area may know nothing about the area you are interested in.

Hi, where in Guanacaste are you? Do you have a US phone number or a CR one?

Hi Dave! Thanks for your reply. We're at Playa Matapalo so a little away from you. I'm not sure yet if we're heading that direction on this trip. We would like to meet up, preferably, so that we can ask more specific questions relating to that area. I'll let you know if we find ourselves coming your direction and many thanks for the offer to meet.

Hi! One of the reasons for meeting people is to find out how easy it is to obtain prescription medications, as I have fibromyalgia (among other things) and take oxycodone on a regular basis. This is easily obtained in th UK but I would think it more difficult in Costa Rica. I have looked at some of the threads but maybe I'm doing something wrong as I can't find answers to this in particular. Can you help?

Most medication  or the generic version is available through the CAJA the mandatory healthcare system, once you are legal residentand a Costa Rica doctor orders tests and feels that this medication is what you require. Or it can be purchased at a local pharmacy, many times a Rx is not required, although opoids may not  included in every pharmacy.

It can take a year or more to gain residency, so during this time, you will not be covered by CAJA so meds must be purchased 'over the counter'.

Weirwoman wrote:

Hi! One of the reasons for meeting people is to find out how easy it is to obtain prescription medications, as I have fibromyalgia (among other things) and take oxycodone on a regular basis. This is easily obtained in th UK but I would think it more difficult in Costa Rica. I have looked at some of the threads but maybe I'm doing something wrong as I can't find answers to this in particular. Can you help?

Hola Weirwoman,

My daughter deals with fibromyalgia along with bipolar disorder and auditory processing disorder.  Fortunately, over time, she has her medications figured out and life is now tolerable for her. 

She takes Lyrica for her fibro and it has helped her immensely.  It's not available through CAJA but is only $40 per month through the local pharmacy.  A prescription is not needed here for this medication.  Her other meds fortunately are available through the CAJA.

- Expat Dave

Weirwoman wrote:

Hi Dave! Thanks for your reply. We're at Playa Matapalo so a little away from you. I'm not sure yet if we're heading that direction on this trip. We would like to meet up, preferably, so that we can ask more specific questions relating to that area. I'll let you know if we find ourselves coming your direction and many thanks for the offer to meet.

Hi. Do you mean Playa Matapalo over between Dominical and Manuel Antonio? If so that is not Guanacaste, I don't think. Just sayin'. Maybe there's another "Matapalo" in Guanacaste?

Hi Dave. Thank you for the info regarding your daughter, especially regarding the drug for fibromyalgia. I take a similar one to that but haven't tried lyrica myself.
We're still in the planning as to where we're heading as we had a minor setback and are heading the opposite direction tomorrow. It might be possible to come your way on Wednesday, if that is any good for you. I will definitely let you know tomorrow if that is our plan. Unfortunately we don't have a mobile to use so will be depending totally on gps - hoping that's enough!

Hi. Definitely Guanacasta!

When driving back to Playa Matapalo make sure to do it when still light out, especially if it is raining.

Thanks for the advice - we wouldn't have considered it to be a problem ourselves! This is exactly why forums like this one are needed