Banking: Banco Popular issues

Does anyone bank with Banco Popular?  I lived there for almost 2 years with my husband (Dominican citizen) while we worked on his green card papers (which we finally succeeded at getting in Sept 2015--so we moved back to the US in October 2015). We plan to retire there one day in the future.

I have a checking account with Banco Popular and up until February of this year, I NEVER had any problems.
I have always sent money to my account down there, and it wasn't until recently that I began to have an issue.

The issue is this. I discovered two fraud charges on my account, one in February, and one in March, 1 month apart. This was not something I authorized.

I attempted to contact the bank to find out what they were. It took a few days, and I finally got an email from my account manager. This was March 27.  Between our correspondence until April 17, I was able to explain the problem and what I needed to do.
She FINALLY sent me the form to sign and verify the false charges on April 17.  I signed it and immediately sent it back to her that same day. 

I emailed her a couple days later to ask about the status of the investigation. No response from her.
I was working a lot, so I didn't get a change to sent ANOTHER email until May 1, to ask again about the status. No response.

Since there was no response in the last 2-3 weeks, My husband and I decided to call.  in the span of an hour, we got through to two agents, who hung up on us.  The 2nd time, we were even talking to a supervisor, and they hung up on us.  We are very upset and now very concerned with our money down there.

I am now at the point that I just want to close the account, but nobody is responding.
Does ANYONE know someone in their main office or their headquarters who we can call and speak to?  We just want to close the accounts and get our money back.

This does not sound fun, but does sound familiar.  Customer service is not good in this country. My advice,  email the manager every single day. Make the time. Call them often and stay on them. That is the only way to get anything done.

Call: Doris Romero
BPD Santiago branch
809-734-2045

If that does not work, call my lawyer in D.R.
W*****

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please recommend this professional in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct