Need lawyer - Birth Cert

You will need to shove some cash undet the table. That's how it works. 2 million VND will smooth it through.  You're a foreigner and expected to pay and have plenty of money. As for Anh Tay. It''s khoai tay to be preciae.
Chu chuc chao man man can lam nhe!

Diazo wrote:

Maybe I am missing something, but there are a boatload of people who have dual citizenship and don't have these problems you mention.

Maybe what you are missing is that these people almost universally have the same names on both passports.  If you want to make your child's life more complicated, be my guest.  I prefer the K.I.S.S principle.

Kit Kim wrote:

4. Applications submitted at the mother registered permanent residence.

Does anyone know if there is an application fee?

I've done 2 birth certificates for my 2 kids. First one was at So Tu Phap (provincial lvl) which was easy. Took just 2 trips.

2nd birth certificate they changed the rules to make the process faster and moved the services down a government level to Phong Tu Phap (city level).
Now these guys at Phong Tu Phap made me do about 20 trips and my local Phuong Xa didn't make it any better too.

At So Tu Phap they also said English name can't go first but can go second. I looked at the instructions from Phong Tu Phap and it says if we want our child to have a foreign nationality than he can have English name otherwise if we want Vietnamese nationality only it has to be Vietnamese name.

But if you choose dual nationality (which doesn't make any sense when you're applying for Vietnamese citizenship and it's none of Vietnam's business if you want dual or one nationality)  it's another step in the process. We didn't want to complicate things any further so chose Vietnam nationality with our mouth shut that we'll apply for his Canadian citizenship tomorrow.

So yeah once they open up a fake book it's not because they want to write something down it's a sign to put your envelop in it. And they can shut the book without looking conspicuous.

Than there's the one where he's about to give me my son's certificate but wants me to write a waiver in Vietnamese despite telling him I can't write Vietnamese. I ask what I need to write and he blurts out a whole bunch of words in Vietnamese I couldn't catch all but I play along and write the best I can hand it to him and he berates me. He tells me to write again. I tell him I'm going home to fetch my niece. He gives in and types it on his computer and have me sign.

They stall for tea money but they don't know I'm unemployed and have lots of free time.

I was actually surprised how little it cost to get a Vietnamese birth certificate. Think it was $30k dongs.

After I got the birth certificate I went to the city level police station (Cong An Thanh Pho). Not the local police station. To register my son onto my wife's red housebook (ho khau).

guess it depends on where you register - we paid 200,000 vnd

https://hello-saigon.com/2013/08/12/how … a-summary/

I'll take $3499. Send it to my mistresses.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Today we picked up the birth certificate.

To recap, we were not permitted to use an e/v/e name. The officials would only work with us and certify birth with a v/v/e name.

We conceded and submitted new application with v/v/e name.  You may recall this required us a to take a second adn test as adn names needed to match birth certificate application names.  Needless to say, two adn tests was a big expense.

Was also requested to pay a fee for form which certifies me being the father since not married. An additional one million dong for this form. Sounds shady but they did issue a receipt for this(not that this means much). Anyway, was too close to the finish line to add more delays with checking on the legitimacy of this charge so just paid it.

Now onto applying for second citizenship.

Thanks again everyone.

congrats - you shouldn't need any dealings with the Vn authorities for the next part. VFS do UK visa applications in HCMC so they should also do application for citizenship. It might be less hassle to use them.