American-Canadian Couple Reportedly Found Strangled

Does anyone know what happened?  http://people.com/crime/missing-america … in-belize/

I just joined this forum, which seems to be a reincarnation of a Belize forum that I used to be member of. By the looks of it, I doubt that this forum would be of any help in answering your question. It seems to be really out of touch with the activities and events of Belize.
Try 'Belize Expats' Facebook group. They have a running commentary of what just happened in the Corozal district just now and is well in touch with breaking news.

This is not the first nor the last murder of foreigners visiting Belize. Forget any plans for moving there. Only 2 months after I moved to Belize, my best friend from Canada was brutally murdered in her own home in 2013. Since then there have been at least 5 other murders of foreign visitors or resident expats in Belize within that one year. This is not acceptable for any foreigner to endure.

I have since moved out of Belize...fed up with these violent occurrences as well as the small petty crimes that plagued us every day, and tired of the total lack of policing and justice in the country.

if you are no longer interested in Belize why bother joining another forum. unfortunately bad things happen throughout the world. Just checked a property site in CALifornia absolutely amazed to find in the last 30 days 420 criminal activities ranging from theft from yards and porches, burglary, shild abuse, traffic stops,  to  2 shootings and a house invasion and robbery. All within 1 mile of my house in the heart of silicon valley. of those only 3 made the local paper and only one made he major regional paper. In Belize, a tiny country, every one of those crimes from little to large would have made the news papers.   
I have never felt unsafe in Belize but then I don't feel unsafe in California either.
Were these two people tourists? I had thought I read in one report they were resident in Belize. It sounds trivial but there is a difference,  Tourists being targeted or residents being involved with the wrong people, not adding blame anywhere but some people put their trust in relative strangers too easily.

Go on Facebook group called Belize Expats it is all on there.

Yes you adding blame, as you put it, to residents who 'mix with the wrong people', so therefore it's their fault for being violated.
The rest of your post is not even worth responding to.

No i said those who put their trust in relative strangers. It is a different crime if the killer was known to them, as opposed to being tourists targeted for random murder.
in my nearly 30 years of experience living and visiting Belize I mix with, and have many Belizean friends but not every Belizean or expat I meet is automatically going to earn my trust. This is also presuming all murders in Belize are by Belizeans.  Report said couple last seen drinking with expats in a Corozal bar.
Of course it isn't  worth bothering about any other points I made, it does not enforce your own point of view.
That being said I do not know the area this and the previous murder in 2013 took place., so do not know if that is indeed a hot bed of crime.

I saw it in the news here a short time ago.  According to an article in The Globe and Mail, Matus had property in Belize and spent half the year there.

It is sad and troubling.

Yes it's a hot bed of crime. Not only in Corozal, near the Mexican border, but in Cayo, near the Guatemalan border. Then there's Placencia and San Pedro that have nothing to do with any borders. Belize is a toxic country.

While this incident is truly sad and unfortunate it also has to be said that in a country of 350,000 ALL bad things that happen is news...not like the US or Canada where one would only get a portion of the bad things that happen.  Apparently she has lived, at least part time, in the Serenity Sands area of Corozal/Consejo for 4 yrs and from what has been posted he was living in Ranchito.  Having been here for 2 decades as ex-pats I can honestly say we have never been a victim of any type of crime other than the beggars in Corozal wanting "a dolla"....but then we also don't flash bling or money or hang out at the bars in town at night.  We have many friends who also have had the same experience...and like someone said...bad things happen to good people all over the world.  Belize is safe...if you know how to be aware of your surroundings, know who to trust and how to behave.

Well said bznorte.  But we do not know what happened.

Go on then, blame the victim, be in denial of what's really happening in Belize and protect your choice to be there. That's the usual response of those who don't want to face the problem that's inherent in the country of Belize. Yes, there is indeed a problem: please try to face it.

Starling5 wrote:

Yes it's a hot bed of crime. Not only in Corozal, near the Mexican border, but in Cayo, near the Guatemalan border. Then there's Placencia and San Pedro that have nothing to do with any borders. Belize is a toxic country.

I understand the loss of your friend is sad and hard to take, however after 9 years as a visitor and almost two as a property owner/part time resident of Placencia, the only toxicity I have seen is reading your misleading comments.

When I posted this story yesterday, there was no real info available. It will unfold slowly, as it always does in Belize, but I believe there will be more impetus to solve this crime since it involves 2 'visitors' from 2 countries. As a number if us have discussed in the past regarding previous murders in Belize, be very careful who you befriend or get involved with, stay out of bars late at night, and stay away from the south side of Belize City. There is no explanation or justification for what happened, but you have to be vigilant at all times in every situation, and not just in Belize.

I've been holding back, but I think it's worthwhile to interject here. No one knows what happened. The last person of interest I saw was another Canadian who was a tenant.

When two people were murdered a block from my house in South Carolina, I never heard anything about it. I searched the news sites and police reports. Nothing. No resolution. Unsolved. He was the only child of a very loving couple.

For sure policing is very primitive and often corrupt in Belize, but when people are being murdered in the us at far more alarming rates, it's important to take a breath. Allow yourself to feel sadness and compassion. Because if you lived in the states, you'd never even hear about it. Murder doesn't make the news in the us anymore. Because it happens several times a day. Not trying to start a fight, but more than 300 people have been killed by POLICE in the US this year. Perspective. It's what's for dinner.

I for one is happy that someone that has a long time experience in Belize taking the time to share their experience, even if its a negative experience...