Egyptian woman marriage to a swedish man

Marriage with foreigners, how is it?
Hello Everyone  :cheers:

I need help from all of you.
I am an egyptian woman getting married to a swedish man and i don't know anything about:

1-Marriage procedures in both countries
2- my rights
3- Any advice on the topic ? :/

Thank you in advance  :)

:)  hmmm..it is eally big move to marry man with different nationalities, unless you know him carefully...and know the rules of Sweeden..
I suggest you to visit the swidish embassy if you are in cairo, or the egyptian embassy to know more about your rights..
If you are Christian , then you should ask as well in the church...well.
Good luck

Thank you for your reply!  :)

It is a challenge indeed :) but i think Marriage in general is a huge risk  :lol: no matter the nationalites are . right?

Going to the embassy is a great idea.

Thank you so much.

Hi
I am irish and my wife Asmaa is Egyptian
Ireland and Sweden are both in the EU so laws and rules are similar ... not exactly the same but very similar
Got married in September 2014 ... in Egypt
Lots of documentation and procedural hassle in egypt to get married .. I assume you have checked all the documentation required at the marriage court in the ministry of Justice ... this is the only place a foreign national can marry an Egyptian... we got a lawyer in the end.

You do have the option of getting married in Sweden if you wished and there is a lot less hassle and none of the religion hassle .. in the EU no one care about your religion and you can marry who you wish no matter what religon either of  you are and the marriage is legal and valid... and will be recognised in Egypt as well...

No major hassle in getting the marriage from Egypt recognised in Ireland / EU
And no major hassle in her coming to live in Ireland

In relation to your marraige rights in Sweden .. these are better than your rights in Egypt ... more equal ... to get detail I suggest you Google the subject to start with and use Swedish government Web sites ... you could try the Embassy but you may not get much help.
You could ask your future husband about this. If he loves you he should not have any problem with getting the information for you... I did not have any problem getting any information my wife wanted ...
I assume he is a native born Swedish Citizen?

If you need any more details you can email me on ***
I can get my wife to talk to you on the phone at any time ..
Regards
Ray

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Religion is a potential issue.

If a non-Muslim man marries a Muslim woman, he will have to officially convert to Islam. At the very least, he will have to write "Muslim" on his marriage paperwork.

A friend of mine did this, and it caused quite a few problems.

For example, when seeking work in the Gulf, he was required to state his religion. This meant describing himself as Muslim, bearing in mind that he'd want to bring his wife with him.

This would mean, for example, that he would not be able to obtain an alcohol license in the Gulf, since this is not available to Muslims.

In short, he would have to give up beer, at least while in the Gulf!

So by marrying a Muslim woman, he was in practical terms becoming a Muslim himself.

This has many implications beyond the consumption of alcohol, including the way that the children will be raised, etc.

While the married couple may be very relaxed about religious issues and child-rearing, the family of the Egyptian partner may not be so relaxed.

In fact, an Egyptian family may be very upset if they discover that the kids are not being raised in the correct religion.

There is the danger that the parents or siblings will intervene to try to correct the problem, which could then cause problems in the marriage, even divorce.

One could write an entire book on the problems that can arise from cross-cultural marriages. And, of course, religion is one of the biggest issues.

Indeed, some people have written books about the more extreme cases, as with the book "Not Without My Daughter".

Cultural and personal differences can be very painful in a relationship, but once there are children involved... it can be disastrous.

I have known people who converted to Islam in order to make their marriage work, and others who converted to Christianity... and then had to flee the country to avoid prison or death.

So much depends on whether your family will be helpful or not, which can also depend on whether they are conservative in their thinking.

Of course, I'm only talking about the downside.

There's also an upside.

Assuming none of that above applies to you, there's every chance that you will have a long and happy marriage.

And I hope you do.

Best of luck!

Misterbig_Ireland
That's extremely Kind of you  :) i am so happy i got the reply from you.

First of all, i can mention that my partner has some personal concerns which i am completely fine with.
He is a native Dutch actually but moved to Sweden long time ago.

Secondly, the embassy in Egypt is NOT helping at all, hence they are very impertinent when dealing with egyptians.

It's not allowed to show e-mails on the forum so i will send you a private message.

DavidStanford wrote:

Religion is a potential issue.

In fact, an Egyptian family may be very upset if they discover that the kids are not being raised in the correct religion.

Cultural and personal differences can be very painful in a relationship, but once there are children involved... it can be disastrous.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your reply and kind wishes. All of the situations you mentioned we can relate to especially  the quote.
Egyptian families are originally very opinionated and very involved in their kids life, this can be hard to be understood by the foreign partner.

I would prefer cross-cultural married people to take it slow before getting children .. so that they can fully understand based on which culture the education is going to be for the kids !

Hello,
Actually even if you get married abroad where religion is not an issue, once you come back to Egypt and want to have an Egyptian marriage certificate, the husband has to prove that he is a Muslim. I am Egyptian Canadian and my husband is Canadian. When we came back to Egypt, he had to go to Al Azhar office and get a certificate saying that he is a Muslim.

Best Regards,

Hey Dear,
I am soon to get married to a Swedish man too. I will meet with my lawyer and he will do all the procedures cause it's a headache.
Once I know what are the procedures I will let you know. For now, all I know is that he has to :
1- Provide an evidence that he's not married, he'll get a marruiage certificate from the the Tax office (Skatteverket ) in Sweden, if he lives there. (Note it expires after 3 months)

2- Prove of evidence (that he works and the salary, this is just one of the papers that is needed in the egyptian law)

3-Not sure yet (Will let u know when I know) whether these paper needs to be signed from Entity in Sweden before coming to Egypt or not.

4-When he's in Egypt, he needs to go to Al azhar to convert (heard that the paper takes a day if u went early to get it )

5-Pay a visit to the Swedish  embassy to get a permission from them.

Then I don't know the rest yet..will u know as soon as I know :)
Good luck

Egyptienneaimelafrance wrote:

First of all, i can mention that my partner has some personal concerns which i am completely fine with.
He is a native Dutch actually but moved to Sweden long time ago.

Not only the Swedish law but you have to deal with the Dutch law as well as your future husband is Dutch who lives in Sweden.

A totally different story.

haha i am lost now, i can't even deal with the egyptian law
he has passport and ID in sweden as he left the Netherlands 10 years ago

Hi dear
Thank you for your reply
we may need to contact through e-mail easier if you want
i tried to PM you with my e-mail address but you are blocking PM

my fiance and I have a lot of heated arguments because of this marriage insanity haha
i am glad i found you

Egyptienneaimelafrance wrote:

haha i am lost now, i can't even deal with the egyptian law
he has passport and ID in sweden as he left the Netherlands 10 years ago

Then u abide to the Swedish law, he is swedish since he has a swedish passport

You want to contact me?  :D

I think you need to post a bit more to unlock your pm system.

It doesn't matter how long ago he left the Netherlands. He's still a Dutch and for your sake ( and rights ) and for your future children, you need to register your marriage in the Netherlands. You'll never know what the future brings.

Oh my!!!!
Not even wed and now heated arguments?

Totally agree, but if you are in your country with your family will be less risk

Hello, I need to get information about the process please.