Renting a car and driving question

Hello everyone!
I am planning on coming to Bahrain for a summer internship in June. I spent a great amount of time researching various aspects of life in Bahrain, as well as I read a lot of topics on here. So here are the questions to which I wasn't able to find an answer for.

1) So I have a Californian driving licence (no international driving permit whatsoever) and a Russian one, would I be able to rent a car for six weeks on a tourist visa? I read somewhere that it depends on visa type if I would be able to drive or no.

2) Here is the main one: most car rentals require renters to be of age 25 and older, yet I would still be 20 during my visit. Is there any way that I could rent a car from some small local company? doesn't matter much which car, just that it has an AC. I went through the websites of "Tooranco" and "Marschall rent a car", and there is no information on age requirements.
I would even be able to pay some extra if there is a possibility to rent a car.

3)So, just in case I won't be able to rent a car, how is the public transportation? Assuming that I would live in Juffair and work in the Financial Harbour, how hard would it be getting there and back every day and getting around for food and what not on the overall without a car? Would be great to know how realistic it is.

4)How is it with sim cards and internet data in Bahrain? I read somewhere that Bahrain has pretty cheap options in terms of sim cards with lots of data. I rely a lot on maps, so I would need internet to get around.

I would greatly appreciate any insight or suggestions on the matter!

Sicher wrote:

I rely a lot on maps, so I would need internet to get around.

You can download Google Maps for offline use. Alternatively, if you can cope with an inferior map, you can use the App Maps Me and download the Bahrain map.

Hi,

Regarding renting a car, why dont you call them and clear all your doubts? That would be the fastest way to get answers. Just keep in mind the timezone we are on +3 GMT.

T&R

Have you started your internship ?
If living in Juffair and working in Bahrain Financial Harbour, you can catch a local bus (if driving isnt an option), however the buses are every 1/2 hour. The bus will stop close to Juffair mall and will stop outside Bab Al Bahrain, then  you can walk to the financial harbour (takes around 10-12 mins). However, in these hot and humid months, you may be abit sweaty if out in the sun for long.

How long is your internship for ?

Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

:top::top: