Shipping and customs fees

Hi,
Will I have to pay customs fees for items that I will have shipped to Kenya? Everything I am shipping is used like clothing and a few home decorations.

Yes you will have to pay duty.  There are quite a lot of taxes and fees all based on CIF, which is the cost of the items (assessed by Kenya Revenue Authority if you don't have receipts) plus the cost of insurance and freight.  You also need a clearing agent in Kenya.

The rate is usually 25%, plus VAT at 16%, Import Declaration Fee, 2.25%, sometimes a quality check by KEBS for which there is a fee.  It can all amount to almost as much as the value of the items. 

Lots of people would opt for paying for a few kg of excess baggage and bringing clothes that way.

Oh wow, That sounds like a lot. Think I will just bring it with me via Lufthansa. Thanks again Longonot.

Yes, unfortunately it makes importing goods to Kenya expensive and greatly increases the cost of imported items in the shops too.

Better use Sky Dragon. They are cheap and your clearance costs are catered for. They charge $10 per kg