Close

Salaries in Germany

How much one can earn in Germany is a common topic on this forum.
Before you ask the same again for your specific situation, please check the following link:
    https://www.gehalt.de/
The site (which is unfortunately only available in German - but Google Translate can help you) lists salary ranges for many professions and industry sectors, based on statistical analysis of market data. For many professions, it also gives regional data, thus showing salary differentials between North and South, East and West, city and countryside.
What is does not show, though, is salary progression by seniority, hierarchical level or specialty skills. That's where your instincts and negotiation skills are needed!

Germany has a minimum salary, set by law at EUR 8.84 per hour worked (in 2017), which amounts to approx. EUR 1400 per month for a 40 hours work week.
This might seem much, but after taxes, social security and other compulsory deductions, you'd only get a bit over EUR 1000 paid out - and that is just sufficient for a single person (simple lifestyle assumed), NOT for a couple or family!

Average starting salaries for fresh graduates in Germany are shown in this article by a renowned newspaper (in German only):
    http://www.faz.net/aktuell/beruf-chance … 51226.html
Depending on the sector you work in, you can expect to earn between EUR 30000 and EUR 49000 per year in your first job after getting a Bachelor degree, and between EUR 33000 and EUR 54000 per year  with a Master degree.
Please note that these figures are before (considerable) deductions for tax, social security and compulsory insurances, so your actual payout will be far lower.

wow. and here I am in Puerto Rico thinking that in Germany I would make more...ufff

jctroy0619 :

wow. and here I am in Puerto Rico thinking that in Germany I would make more...ufff

So what? Just because one could possibly earn more somewhere else is rarely a good reason to migrate. There are soooo many factors that come into play. For one, one might earn more but have to spend more. One has to look at cost in a country as well as wages. And then there is adapting to the country including the language, culture, making new friends and weather. And even if one can find a legal path to migrating, what makes one think they will get a good paying job there. Unless you speak the language fluently you are not likely to find a job on the same level as in your home country. It's not my purpose to discourage people from immigrating but one should look at a situation realistically. Too many people hear about Germany and think it is a utopia and getting there will mean riches and happiness. Anyone with such an attitude is bound to be frustrated and disappointed with the attempt because even if they succeed the struggle is not easy.

Expatriate health insurance in Germany

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Germany

Moving to Germany

Find tips from professionals about moving to Germany

Travel insurance in Germany

Enjoy stress-free travel to Germany