The best services to use when moving to the Philippines

Hello everyone,

What were the biggest hurdles you faced when moving to the Philippines? Were there any services available that helped?

Which services helped you most upon your arrival in the Philippines? Were there any that helped you adapt and integrate in your new home?

Are there any services that you wished were available when you moved to the Philippines?

Did you find the price of the different services available reasonable? Were there any that were overpriced, to your mind?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

The best way to get here in Philippines is to seek for admission into undergraduate or postgraduate program in which I can assist if needed.Then it wl be easier for you to open a bank account,driver's license and some other benefit.

Do not buy a home right away if you're not sure what part of the Philippines you want to live. Watch your money. Even though things are cheaper,cars, trucks and food costs can compete with the United States. Do not loan money to family-you will regret it.There are a 100 scams so you had better be street smart. Used automobiles are just that-USED. If you can buy a vehicle then buy a new vehicle. And hire a good attorney to do the foot work in getting your permanent visa and your ACR card. i spent a fortune in time and money flying to Manila to procure all my documentation,when a good attorney would have done it cheaper.

Know yourself. What lifestile you wish.  Look around at more than 1 location.  I am small town so big cities will not do for me. Know what you want to do once there. Visit the area & see if it has what you want. Get out & make friends once there.  Learn to shop there way. Learn the area. Be willing to move if you do not like. So start with a 6 month lease.  Learn to use local services. Or what there is of them.

I agree with the answers stated above. But I think the most common hurdle that other nationalities experience in moving to the Philippines is the visa application and processing. Since there are rules and regulations governing this aspect, the application varies depending on the nationality and the purpose or type of visa that a foreigner will be eligible for.

Pack your patience
Whatever your expecting as far as service and or customer response , just let it be,
You will not change the thought process nor culture in the way things are done' here .

Frustrations as far as the way things are done in the western world vs here in the Philippines are entirely different . So relax and let it go and enjoy a much slower pace and environment.

Larry

What post grad degrees do they offer?  Or is there a link to colleges that offer post grad degrees? Thanks in advance!!!!

Previous replies are all good... I would especially underline understanding the Visa process and perhaps combine that with he comment about patience. It was an area I had big concerns about navigating, but now, in less than a year, it is pretty old hat and is not too difficult if you just follow the steps and understand their process.

A small simple one that is has been worthwhile for me is: open an account with a bank that will refund your ATM fees each month. For me this is Schwab. I have never opened a bank account here and just deal in cash, so I avail of ATM's pretty often. At p200 per transaction, it's nice to know that money is not just going out the window.

profits101 wrote:

Previous replies are all good... I would especially underline understanding the Visa process and perhaps combine that with he comment about patience. It was an area I had big concerns about navigating, but now, in less than a year, it is pretty old hat and is not too difficult if you just follow the steps and understand their process.

A small simple one that is has been worthwhile for me is: open an account with a bank that will refund your ATM fees each month. For me this is Schwab. I have never opened a bank account here and just deal in cash, so I avail of ATM's pretty often. At p200 per transaction, it's nice to know that money is not just going out the window.

I agree; it's all in learning how to slow down in doing things or even going places. I can't imagine now what it would be like to live back in the rat race of Southern Calif.
In Banking I/we, my wife and I use Metro bank here in the Philippines. Pensions (including US Social Security) are direct deposited here at no charge. Transferred into our peso account at the current exchange rate on any given day. If we use a different ATM to withdrawal the cost is just P11. I can live with that.

Navajo52