University of Bahrain / living & working

Hi everyone,

I am considering moving to Bahrain to work. I have lived for 6 years in the Gulf (UAE & Qatar), so am quite familiar with the region. My question involves the University of Bahrain (UoB).

Does anyone have any information regarding working at UoB (salaries, terms, housing, environment etc)?

I would be a full time faculty member.

Any advice / info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Any info / advice / comments would be useful - thanks!

Hi bartowel!

How are you?

I hope other members who might know more on the subject will respond soon.

My suggestion, to you, would be to send in a letter to the University of Bahrain, Expressing your Interest to work for them and asking about any vacancies that they might have at the moment. Be sure to include a Curriculum Vitae.

You never know, they might give you a positive response and be willing to offer you a job!

Kind regards,
Haf

Thanks Haf - I have already applied for a position - but the job posting gives little information regarding the details of the contract.

I am currently a University Professor, and have worked in the Gulf for 6 years (and a regular visitor to Bahrain), so am happy with the region, procedures etc.

just trying to find out a little more about the position.

Thanks again - I am glad to see that things have settled down a little in the country

Hi Bartowel and welcome to the forum,

I'm sorry for the little number of answers you are getting here but whether your questions are too specific and no member is able to help you (that's my case, I don't know anybody in the UoB) or people are just a little bit busy with the news to check on the forum.
Don't loose faith :D

Friendly yours

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the message - I am hoping to get some info soon!

We are still looking at our options, and watching events in the country closely, so I will keep you posted!

Have a good day

Hey there - just been offered a position at the University of Bahrain, and am going to accept - so I should be arriving with the family mid-August (that will be fun in the heat!!).

Looking forward to becoming part of the Island! Dan

Hey great news !

Definitely the hottest and the humidest month of the year... But at least, when getting out of the airport, you can think that it can only get better :p

uuummmm.. all the best and good luck.. but here's a small thing for u ;)

mid august is mid of the holy month (Ramadhan) if you have heard about.. it might be a hit for you to come in this weather (heat and humidity) haha and of course live bahrain for about 2 weeks of (no food or drink, neither smoke if u do smoke IN PUBLIC) before the sunset.. life will get to normal by  1st September :)

Bahrain is waw so dont get a shock when u first reach and get to hear all about not to do think in public during this period ;)

all the best and we are here to advise :)

Muna

Hi everyone, and especially Olivier-France, for all your help and advice.

I have just returned from the US after a week at a conference in the UAE, and met a few folks from Bahrain, who were leaving the island for the short term, to see how things develop (especially in light of the UK and US embassies advising that their citizens leave the country).

The situation has put my move to Bahrain and a position at the Univ of Bahrain on hold for a while. With a young family (2 kids under 4), I think I need to see how the situation works out over the next few months. The good news is that the University is keen to work with me, and hold open the job for a few months if needed.

What are your views / feelings about being there at this time? Olivier, I respect your views and your own opinions regarding staying - I think you make some good points.

How are things now?

Hope to see some of you in person in the not too distant future.

Cheers

Hey Bartowel !

Nice to hear from you again :D
Most of the expats here will agree to say that the Brittish embassy was a bit "dramatic" with the information they spread in the Kingdom!
But that being said, it's quite difficult to foresee what will happen now. As one of my old boss used to say, it's not only complicated, its complex : the dashboard of a plane is complicated, but once you're trained, you are able to read it. A plate of spaghettis is complex. If you pull one of them you cannot know where is its end, even with the best training!  :D
Unfortunately, nowadays we are more looking at a spaghetti plate then at a dashboard and everyone seem to have a different agenda.
So I guess for once, we'll follow the British phlegm and "wait and see" :p
Just hope everything will be for the best.

I'm quite sure we'll see a little bit better after a few weeks.

Cheers

hey I am a student at the University of Bahrain. I think you will get a good deal as they offer a decent salary with on campus housing. The environment is rural with lots of greenery plus the student are very friendly and all the facilities you may need are available on campus. the only problem is sometimes it gets to hot and the building are a long walk from each other.

Hi everyone.

I am considering University of Bahrain for a faculty position.Preliminary negotiations look good. What is salary and benefits like?

Do they provide on campus housing? How is the professional life?

Nathan

Hi Nathan and welcome to the forum,

Maybe you should start a new thread with your question because you are now "reviving" a very dead conversation :D
I'm also afraid that your questions being very specific, you might find it difficult to get answers.

Wish you luck though

Cheers

Olivier

the uncrowned king wrote:

hey I am a student at the University of Bahrain. I think you will get a good deal as they offer a decent salary with on campus housing. The environment is rural with lots of greenery plus the student are very friendly and all the facilities you may need are available on campus. the only problem is sometimes it gets to hot and the building are a long walk from each other.

Can you please elaborate how are the housing on campus, is it single storey villa or an apartment in a building. And how are the facilities, I would love to see photographs if you can post here, thanks.

Hello Asdfab,

Thanks for the reply. Are all faculty housing in campus / Are they furnished? Which campus housing is better? Isa town or the new campus?

Do you have any idea regarding salary range?

Thanks

Mathan

I want work in baharain ,could i know the salary and other details for assistant professors there

Hello danlak and welcome to the forum.

This is a very old thread and your post would get more visibility if you start a new topic on the forum. Having said that, questions regarding the salary of any job is very hard to answer. Salaries really vary depending on your experience so it would be very hard to put a number against it. You can check recruitment websites such as www.bayt.com and search for Assistant Professor Jobs in Bahrain. If you find a job and if the job description is advertising its salary, then you will have a rough idea. Otherwise, you will find out during the interview stage.

Good luck!

Hello dear
This is suzanne from lebanon
My case or my question are exactly yours
Can you please enlighten me about working there
Contract timeframe
Salary
Dorms
Cost of living
Work environment
People at work
Food
Transportation

Hello Suzanne,

Welcome on board however keep in mind that this is an old thread, look at the dates. The members are probably no longer on the website.

I hope you get a response though. Feel free to open your own thread for better visibility.

All the best,
Bhavna

Suzzane? How did you go through the process? Are you at UOB now? How is your experience?