Where to live in Kuwait?

Hi, I am currently in the process of moving to Kuwait in a couple weeks. I will be working at Camp Buehring just north of Jahra. I will have free accommodation for myself when I work here however after the initial month my wife will be joining me from the UK. I  was wondering where would be recommended for living for a young couple(mid to late 20's)? I would be willing to travel up to about an hour also we would like the apartment building to include a gym and pool if possible?

Also my wife is a fully qualified nurse on the NHS here in Scotland so would anyone know how easy/hard it would be for her to acquire a  job over in Kuwait and also what would roughly be the salary?

Help,

Aaron

the best place here is salmiya most of the activities here happen in  salmiya and it take an hour to go to jahra

Forget Salmiya, its so yesterday and crowded.

i would suggest you look into these areas; mangaf, maboula, fintas, abu halifa. there are apartment buildings with amenities, but ofcourse the rent would be higher, but u get stuff like swimming pools, squash courts, gyms etc.

Those places are far too far away from my work. It would take me around an hour and a half to get to camp buehring from there, according to google maps? Can you recommend an area closer?

An hour is roughly as far as I'd want to travel. What about the Sharq area?

Aaron, it would probably take you less time to get to camp from Fintas compared to Salmiya.

From Salmiya you would have to take 5th or 6th ring road which are probably the busiest ones in the country. From Fintas you can take the 7th ring road which takes you to Jahra and has less traffic.

However until your wife gets a driving license (and that may take a while) it is probably better to settle in more urban areas where she won't be needing a cab for every single thing - in that case aim for Salmiya.

jahra Kuwait is about 45 min away from Camp Buehring I also work at Camp Buehring but live in Al Fintas I am near the beach but the drive takes one and a half hours each way. The people drive as if they need a driving class! It is crazy just getting to work every day. Good Luck

Been looking at an apartment in Al Riqqa, has anyone any experience of this area or know what it's like for an expat to stay in?

Thanks,

Aaron

Don't know anyone who is actually there, but I am "next door"...for any shopping or activity you will have to use the car, but that is true for most of the neighbourhoods. On the plus side it won't be crazy crowded like Mahboula, you got easy access to hwy 30 and 40 and shopping/coast area is 5 minutes away by car.

Thanks mate, have you been in the area at all just wondering if it's nice? I suppose I'll find out in a few days when I go and see the apartment. Just wondering at the moment.

Thanks,

Aaron

I have never actually ventured in there. I can check it out, but not sure if it makes much sense if you are going to stop by soon anyway. Let me know.