Can I buy property (as a Mauritian) but not live there?

Hello there!

My predicament is I would like to buy a property in Mauritius this year but I have been told (by a Friend of a Friend, so not sure of it) that now, one cannot buy a property in Mauritius unless they are willing to stay there for a certain amount of time after the purchase, is this true? I am currently living abroad and will move to Mauritius in three years time.

Any information would be greatly received!

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Just to be sure again...are you a Mauritian citizen?

If yes, then you can buy any property without constraints and conditions. Never heard about this obligation to stay there after the purchase.

If you have a Mauritian passport, of course you can but as a foreinger your are entitled to stay at least 6 months ...

candycandy wrote:

If you have a Mauritian passport, of course you can but as a foreinger your are entitled to stay at least 6 months ...

:/

care to clarify ?

do you know the IRS system for non Mauritian who wants to live there and get advantages on taxes (especially inheritance taxes)...

See exchange from Nadeem
Nadeem
06 December 2011 08:35:39 

  

778 posts

Quatre Bornes

Lol @ Terence!

Yes, quite right Julien... Renting sometimes brings a big pain to the neck.

RES has no minimum price officially.  If you want a permanent residency with your RES acquisition then you should buy something not below $500,000.  However, none of the RES promoters do offer anything below $600,000 - again, thinking that Mauritius is the navel of the world. IRS start from $800,000+ and their minimum stated by law is $500,000. I remember one of my clients looking for something withingp $1 million and it was impossible.

 Like

check at anahnita for a villa but expensive though..

If you invest in an IRS villa -  you can rent it if your are not using it ...

You can rent but the resort management can/does take 50% of the rent and controls the rental process as you cannot rent indepentantly. In the case of one property I found out at one top resort you would only get about US$6,000 a year if renting a 3 bed. property.

You should be careful - the political situation is not great ...in 2 years time there will be a general election ...however I am not sure whether you are Mauritian passport holder or not.  If you do have a Mauritian passport - you can buy any property and rent or do whatever you want ...but when buying you need to be careful as well by choosing your notary ...and register the land officially.  One my friend brought a plot of land in Albion and the same plot was sold to as many people as they could ...

@candycandy -re. your last post - that's really terrible about the sale of plot of land - so what would happen legally? Clearly someone is breaking the law?
What do you mean by ' the political situation is not great'? Thanks.

you should read the local newspaper and know what is going on...My friend has to take a lawyer - that case lasted 5 years ...she got it in the end ...

xxxxxxx

Moderated by Sarvesh 7 years ago
Reason : No free ads on the forum + register your business in the business directory of the website
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dear do you think you can start a business on same property you will plan to buy .  If yes that will not be a problems.  i know someone that can help you to understand the legal procedures to proceed

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that 2 adverts have been removed from this thread.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hello,

According to your profile, it seems that you are an English. I assume that you are a non-citizen of Mauritius. If yes, then you do not have the right to buy a portion of land in the island as per the rules. There are specific properties which you can buy though, as a non-citizen. And they are:

1. Apartment in a minimum G+2 building. The cost of the apartment should be of a minimum amount of Rs. 6 million.

2. PDS (Property Development Scheme) Properties - If you buy a PDS villa for a minimum amount of 500,000 USD, you will obtain a resident permit in Mauritius.

3. A third option can be by incorporating a company in Mauritius and buying through that company. But atleast one of the Directors of the company should be a resident of Mauritius.

You can contact me for more information. I'd be glad to help.

Regards

Wahid Domun

This is doable through several schemes offered. Have you been able to get all the information you needed?

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please refer to the housing section.

Hi loraine,
I made a mistake with my email address...here is the correct address:  p***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum section.

@candycandy no, i think you are wrong. I just confirmed with some agencies. Expats can buy in Mauritius if the roperty is found in a commun residence. Like flats with ground, first & second floors. And the price should start from Rs.6,000,000 only.

@Lorainechapman follow this link for more detailshttps://www.ofim.mu/blog/2/Etrangers-comment-investir-a-l-ile-Maurice.html

@LorainechapmanEtrangers-comment-investir-a-l-ile-Mauri

https://www.ofim.mu/blog/2/Etrangers-co … urice.html

Hello Hasnah Affejee,

This thread is from 2017 and that specific law that allows expats to buy apartments G+2 had not been approved at that time.

I prefer closing this thread since it is now outdated.

For up to date information concerning buying property for (foreigners), please download and read the articles of the Mauritius Guide.

Should anyone need any info about investment or buying property, you are most welcome to open a new thread on the Mauritius forum.

All the best,

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed