How to make friends in Brussels

Hi Melby,

Yes, my husband's company is offering to move us and the expatriate experience, and that office is out of Brussels. :)

Ah. Well, some people here will probably disagree, but personally I cannot stand Brussels (and I know tons who feel the same). I ***love*** Belgium, let's be clear, but that is the one city that I cannot stand at all. Personally, I'd opt out of Brussels. If you could live nearby, maybe... but *shrug* that's me. I'm sure other people will fill your head with good things about it. lol.

I agree with Melby since moving I am much happier awy from Brussles and have meet some fun people

Melby, Hannah,

Can I ask, why do you dislke Brussels? What was your experience meeting/making friends there?

Um, I don't have any experience "meeting/making friends there," I hate the city, so why would I hang out in it? :huh:

It's dirty, trashy (seriously, what other city do you actually see window hookers from the train!! on your way in?!), over-crowded, ridiculously rude, etc etc. It's a terrible place and I do my best to avoid it.

And for the record, every other city in Belgium I have been to is great.

Basicly same reason although havent really seen the hookers and then theres all the atmoshire with the wooloon flemish etc

Hmmm dirty trashy i agree to some extent ! It depends on the areas where we go !! Some areas in brussels are very poor ...The density of the people is higher in these areas..We see lot of beggars  on the streets who scare people away some times....

But the city is changing a lo... If you compare it with other Belgian cities, you feel less safe and less peaceful here especially in night..But if you have to live here, you should say its my city :)

Thanks for the feedback. I am ok with the Brussels not being the cleanest, prettiest example of a European city. We are moving from a place where everyone lives in the suburbs because the actual city is one of the most poor, dangerous, and racially segregated in the USA (Detroit, Michigan). The population is shockingly low when you look at the physical size of the city. Detroit has some revitalization going on for it, but the process is very slow. The fact that Brussels has a variety of people living within its limits, has a large population within it at all, is attractive to me.

I invite others to join in as well, because I would like more advice regarding what your experience has been making friends in the city. I appreciate it!

I just dont think Brussles is a good example of Belguim so if nothing else travel around and see the rest of Belguim

Hi all.

I quite like Brussels, for the capital of a European country I think it's quite a pleasant city with a rich mix of people.

I'd be more than delighted to attend any expat meet-ups organised in Brussels as I'm all for making new friends, checking out some venues and having a bit of fun.

Obviously, anybody who hates Brussels and hasn't got a good word to say about the place are not obliged to attend, ;)

Hi all,

im new in the city.
im a belgian who has moved to this city because of work closeby.
im from the flemish part but i speak french and english as well
if anybody wants to have a beer fridays after work drop me a line.

hi everyone,
i'm new in Brussels, i'm coming from france and i would like to meet people to discover this city.
anyone interested ?

Hey Hesse what area

And with regards to my hateing Brussles I hate it in repect its my lest fav ^part in Belguim. I can appreachate what it offers however I have become more settled and happier as I moved into flanders so ment to disrepect to people.

Well, found out today that the move is official! We will be moving later this fall. I will check back then, and hope that we'll be able to meet some of you then!

:)

Good luck with it all meghan

I've been living in Belgium for eight years now, and I've never been able to make friends here (I mean, close friends, someone who shares the same interests as me...) I don't know why...  I sometimes feel misplaced... Maybe I didn't meet the right persons...

Hi Guys,

Just back from Germany and thought it's the right time to think about a meeting for next weekend. Any idea about Brussels nightlife is ever welcome
:cheers:
@ ManOnTheMoon,
So as you stay it's not that easy to find real friends...guess we have a challenge to change it.

So let's put some plan in place togther!

@Jay-inB,
Where are you from in DE? I'm from Hamburg :top:

xxx
Steve

Jay, I'm thinking people probably need more than a couple hours of notice. Most people probably didn't even see that you had posted this before that time had passed. You should try something for several days in the future, to give people time to come and see it and figure out when they are free. =)

haha well not in Brussels, lol. If you ever feel like doing something elsewhere, then let me know. :P

Yeah perhaps set up a new topic for a meetup perhaps a week from now and gather the numbers from people intrested and to confirm closer

Hi Jay-inB,

Do you have read my private message?

thx!!!

Lorin

Hello Expats!

I just happened to stumble on this website today! And well...its 'buzzing' with happy people from whatever little I've read so far.

Is anyone up to have some beers this weekend?

Cheers

Hi,
This weekend is almost over but is there anyone up for some drinks next weekend? Maybe near Ixelles or Etterbeek? Would be great to meet some nice ppl around here.
Cya!

Hello Hermelin

Yes. I would like that. I am at Auderghem but can drive wherever.

Anyone else up for a meet-up?

Cheers

K.

Great chat guys. I am echoing the same thing.

I moved here about 2 weeks ago and will stay for more than a year or i dont know how long may be more than 5 years! Cant tell now.

I have family, my in laws but none of my friends. All I meet outside home is my hubbys buddies!

Ok its time to make some of my own so.. I will be glad to meet some people. since I am not used to getting around by public transport I'd prefer people who  can help me with that as well. My french is very bad although will start a course soon. I am in auderghem for now until we get our own flat.

Please PM me if anyone is interested to go for a walk/coffee/drink etc. I love the weather now in Brussels but I heard its not gonna be the same for too long!

have a good weekend!

m

I think we all have been saying the same but no one really moved with setting a date, so ow about this friday the 8th we meet in the food maker (toison D'or) @ 3. I am willing to accept any other suggestions  but i felt the need to get the ball running.

I second that!! :)

@Miroelsilent585

It's good to finally see somebody getting the ball rolling and naming a time and place for an expats meet-up!

Unfortunately I'll not be able to make that friday at 3pm meet-up as it isn't convenient for me, there's this horrible little thing called "work" which is getting in the way!

I hope it's a success for all those attending! ;)

Balesy are you on fb I found a gent meet up group there that do loads of get to geathers they maybe groups closer to u

Cheers Hannah, I'll see if I can find that Gent get-togethers group on Facebook. ;)

Friends International Is Coming To Antwerp !!!

The long established Belgian based social network club is reaching out and making Antwerp a focus of their attention. The club has many varied events in Belgium mostly around the Brussels area but wants to specially appeal to people living and working around the famous port city, Antwerp.

Chris Lalor, long time Belgian resident and Stephanie Hey will be, along with others, organising some events in November and December. Ranging from a simple drink or meal to a visit to a place of interest. Already this summer cycling trips have been organised just south of Antwerp and are very popular.

[Moderated]

:top:

Hello everyone!
My name is Katie, I'm in my late 20's and have recently relocated with work to Brussels (Etterbeek area).  I am originally from Scotland but lived in York in England for 3 years before moving out here a few weeks ago.
I would like to meet some new people, make new friends, have a few drinks etc if anyone is interested?
Has anyone been able to get a group together on the site before? If so it would be great if i could join your next meet up!
If there's not an established group yet I would be happy to organise something.
Let me know your thoughts and I will be happy to set a time and date in a couple of weeks to give everyone plenty of notice.

Look forward to meeting you!

Katie :)

Hey Katie , Well i tired to get people to come today around 3,30 but im not sure how many are actually coming so it might be cancelled like the other meetings.

Katie_W wrote:

Hello everyone!
My name is Katie, I'm in my late 20's and have recently relocated with work to Brussels (Etterbeek area).  I am originally from Scotland but lived in York in England for 3 years before moving out here a few weeks ago.
I would like to meet some new people, make new friends, have a few drinks etc if anyone is interested?
Has anyone been able to get a group together on the site before? If so it would be great if i could join your next meet up!
If there's not an established group yet I would be happy to organise something.
Let me know your thoughts and I will be happy to set a time and date in a couple of weeks to give everyone plenty of notice. Look forward to meeting you!
Katie :)

There are some FB sites for ex-pats in Belgium, shall I post some links ?
Chris

Miroelsilent585 wrote:

Hey Katie , Well i tired to get people to come today around 3,30 but im not sure how many are actually coming so it might be cancelled like the other meetings.

Did you get many people showing up today or was the meet cancelled in the end?

Soulcharger wrote:

Chris

I've had a look on FB and found a couple of ex pat sites...happy to have a few more though so yes please post the links!

Katie_W wrote:
Soulcharger wrote:

Chris

I've had a look on FB and found a couple of ex pat sites...happy to have a few more though so yes please post the links!

Try these...................

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/2688356048/https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/10386390365/https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=2573987076https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=27671943881http://www.expatica.com/lifestyle_leisu … _8309.html

Good luck..........

:top:

Unfortunatley the meeting was also cancelled aswell.

@Miroelsilent585

Shame to hear the meet-up you arranged didn't go as planned.

If there's any future meet-ups on the cards, say in the likes of Churchill's or O'Reilly's then give me a shout.