Cost of living-Nairobi.Expats

Hi folks!

I may be posted to Nairobi soon. I would appreciate info on basic cost of living, i.e single accommodation (decent European std), monthly expenses, food, electricity, etc.

Areas to avoid ito accommodation.

Thx, Baz 😉

Nairobi is not cheap if you want 'European' standard, but it is not outrageous either. A two bedroom flat goes for 60.000 - 80.000 in an ok area. Add maybe 20% or more for furnished. Power should be 3.000 -4.000 per month, water maybe 800-1.000, but sometimes both are included in the rent. Fruits and vegetables are cheap compared to Europe.

"Fruits and vegetables are cheap compared to Europe"  That is unless they are imported, then they are two or three times the price.  European & South African foods are widely available, but much more costly than you would pay at home.  Locally produced food is very cheap.  Lots of markets too.

The cost of living in Nairobi is rather higher than many expect.  Its one of the most expensive cities on the continent.

To be honest, I think that Ksh 60,000 to 80,000 for a two bedroom apartment.  A quick search indicated that for the areas which it would be better and safer to live (Kilimani, Westlands, Lavington),   rental costs are from Ksh 100,000 per month.  One and two beds are rather harder to find than 3 bed.  Furnished quite a bit more expensive.

Electricity.  Personally, we have always paid between Ksh 4000 and 7000 per month.  Much lower if you get a place with solar water heating.

If you cook on gas a 13kg refill is around Ksh 2200.

Other things to be aware of, if you haven't been here before: 

According to recent reports, Nairobi is the second worst city in the world for traffic.  Traffic jams are truly horrendous, leading to many getting home late from their schools and work - try to find accommodation as close as possible to where you work - you won't regret it.

Water supply;  water rationing is a reality for several years (one of the reasons we moved out).  This means water supply being restricted to certain days of the week.  Bottled water isn't particularly cheap either.

Security; its important to live in a 'well up' area of the city, as security is better and security should be high on your agenda when choosing where to live. 

You need to be security conscious when out and about.  For example; Its not advisable to say walk to work on a daily basis (even if you can) as its the routine nature of such activities that could lead to you being mugged.  Its not really safe to walk on the streets after dark, and/or carry a lot of valuables on your person. 

Lastly, air pollution - caused by the massive traffic jams is quite a problem.

Its for many of the above reasons that we moved out of the city in 2008, but I appreciate that if you work there, this might be difficult!

Longonot, I know you left Nairobi because you got fed up with the city and I know you are leaving the country because of the same. But why always trying to paint a more negative picture than others present? House rent in Nairobi has stagnated and even been reduced in some nice areas. It is wrong when you state that you have to pay 100.000 for a two bedroom flat in safe areas. You usually don't pay the advertised price anyway. There is oversupply of decent flats t
hese days.

Torewest; you are so very wrong and making an assumption here! 

I did an internet search of the areas where we used to live and based my advice on that - couldn't find any property for as little as Ksh 60,000 to 80,000.  Of course, there is bargaining room and of course there are areas of the city where you can get property at those prices and lower, but I would tend to advise people to stick to the better areas.  I would be interested to know which parts of the city you were referring to?  I was looking at Kileleshwa/Kilimani, Lavington, Westlands.  I have repeated the search and this time there are a very few apartments in the price range you mention (unless you want to live on Mombasa Road, South C, Kabete etc), but the great majority are over Ksh 100,000 per month, so I stand by my advice.

Feel free to challenge my other comments about food prices etc!   I am not being negative, just realistic and I don't think its fair to people asking about the cost of living in Nairobi to be unrealistic, is it?

Please don't try and link my posts with my personal plans.  We left Nairobi mainly because of the traffic and constant water rationing and as neither of us worked there, we were free to go where we pleased.  We intend to leave Kenya for many different reasons.

Thank you all for your inputs. It seems now that I would have to reside in or close to Kiambu.

I would be looking for a decent, furnished one or two bedroom apartment or cottage in an estate, with gym facilities.

What are the terms of payment for a rental unit, deposit and then rent on a monthly basis?

Thank you for any referrals.

Regards, Basil

The legal framework around property rental reflects that of the UK, so a tenancy period of 6 or 12 months, with a minimum 1 month deposit and rent paid monthly in advance.  However, its not unusual for landlords to ask for 3 months deposit and quarterly rent, to protect themselves against tenants who may be slow, or refuse to pay.

Why particularly Kiambu?  You can check online, sites such as OLX.

Kiambu town is not far from the outskirts of Nairobi, like Runda, Fourways, etc. Kiambu town itself is a small and a bit chaotic trading centre with limited residence options for a foreigner,  unless you can afford a townhouse in a gated compund. This because of security. A white person will stand out here and I wouldn't feel too safe coming home late night there. All depends on your budget. Edenville is a modern, safe and gated compound with separate houses with nice garden, close to Kiambu town. You will have to pay from 90.000 shs for unfurnished, which is much cheaper than what you would have to pay closer to town. Check the google maps for the area and check property rental sites like olx.co.ke, jumia, The Star, Property24 and buyrentkenya. Just google these. Check areas between Kiambu town and Nairobi also. If you find something interesting,  dont hesitate to ask about it here. In Kiambu town you can probably find a two bedroom for 30.000-40.000., but not very  safe. If that's your budget you can get furniture from the local market at nice prices.

Since Torewest has mentioned it, I would highlight that Kiambu town has a reputation as a high crime area.  I would second Edenville, or any of the gated estates between Kiambu and Runda.

Thanks all for the inputs.

Only investigating Kiambu, as my office may be located in that area.

I will revisit the forum once I know my options.

Many thanks. Baz