Social life

From NYC and loved CR. I'm thinking of retiring to CR in 2 years. I have a Master's in TESOL so  I think I can teach English as a side job. I'll be 56 (female) -what's the social life like for 56 year old american females, generally.

thanks. heather

Until you have obtained Permanent residency, which can take 4-5 years from your initial application, you are not legal to work here unless you work on-line.

In the Central Valley there is plays, concerts etc. plus some women's groups that have functions during the day, but not much elsewhere in regards to having a social  life unless you go out to dinner or enjoy visiting bars...

Thanks very much about the work info. I must say I dont visit bars really...thinking of the samara area? I came across lots of couples & families-not older singles. Is that the norm?

Thanks.

I just edited my previous post, and in regards  to living in Samara, I think you will find that it has more tourists rather than actual 'expat residents'.

interesting distinction and good to know.

heathertrue wrote:

Thanks very much about the work info. I must say I dont visit bars really...thinking of the samara area? I came across lots of couples & families-not older singles. Is that the norm?

Thanks.

Heather,

Spending more time there as a resident will help you determine if what you've experienced in the past were tourist or expats.  As stated, that area would have a lot of tourist. 

Nice thing about renting here, it's often a furnished house and that makes it easy and less expensive to move to another part of the country if Samara turns out not to be your ideal area.

- Expat Dave