Job seeking + staying in Norway over a period of 6 months

Hi,

I have been in Norway for 6 months, registered as a job seeker. I have not yet managed to establish myself but I am financially stable. What permit do I need to apply for to stay in Norway or do I need to leave? I am a British citizen.
I am struggling to find this information anywhere. On the direct gov website it says Brits can stay in Norway longer than 6 months if they have the funds but I am unsure of this information as I have heard many different things. I have also heard that I must leave Norway for 24 hours and then I can return for another 6 months. I am completely confused.

If I could get some help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Gem89,

While waiting for the members to come up with solutions to your questions,I'd request you to go through the Living in Norway guide where you'll find out all you need to know to relocate and live in Norway.

You can also the Jobs in Norway section where you'll find all the current job offers available at the moment. Feel free to create a CV to increase your chances of getting in touch with recruiters.

Best of luck in your future endeavours. : )

Regards,

Sarvesh
https://www.expat.com team

Hi Gem,

Can I ask what kind of funds did you show the embassy? Are you still looking for a job?
I'm looking to move to Norway, and I appreciate all the info I can get.

Cheers!

You can stay for 6 Months as a jobseeker, but in some cases they will renew that for another 6 months if you ask them to (dependent upon circumstances).  The bottom line is, a lot of UDI decision making in Norway is discretionary.

Having the funds to support yourself (and having health insurance) is just cause for an extended stay. The main concern is that they don't want unemployed foreigners claiming any social benefits. As an unemployed person here, you are excess baggage and they are not even remotely interested in carrying you at all. Sounds harsh, but just telling it how it is.

I'd suggest making a new appointment with the UDI at some point and simply ask for an extended stay, providing evidence of your ability to support yourself and your health insurance documents. Also, if you have a saksbehandler in NAV then ask him / her to print off a small note to confirm that you are an active jobseeker.  I'm sure then, you'll be fine.