My Road-Trip in Colombia - Organisational part

Holà! Bonjour! Hi everyone!

First of all, I'm gonna write this in English, don't hesitate to ask me for translation rather in French or Spanish.

There you go, my name is Anthony I've been born and raised in France next to Geneva, Switzerland. Half swiss and half french, I graduate from high-school in 2013 with a Technological Baccalauréate then I flew to United States of America to study English and pass my T.O.E.F.L. I end up in San Diego, California where I stayed, after that English test, two years in a community college called San Diego Mesa College, I was studying social sciences, with a focus on contemporary world history.
At one time I decided to come back in France because of serious health issues concerning my dad....
I started a Bachelor degree in History in Bordeaux Montaigne University which I didn't enjoy that much. So I decided to make my dream come true! Doing a road-trip in Colombia! And I need your help to organize it !

According to the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs pretty much all Colombia is not recommend, I would like to have some opinions about that issue which is insecurity. Also are they areas really really not recommendable ?  I'm asking that question because I want to go pretty much everywhere in Colombia, starting from Bogota to Amazon to the Caribbean coast to Medellin then Cali and the Pacific Ocean to the Andes then come back to Bogota.

As previously said I'm budgeting it in order to stay as long as possible, I would take any recommandations about some good and cheap places to stay, to eat, to visit and if some of you do know people who are looking for a whoofer or a little help I would be bless to help you ! It's all about us, the people right? Sharing some values and different point of views! If you share those values, please write me down something or contact me :)

To each and everyone, have a wonderful day, bless you.

Anthony

Bèr420 wrote:

According to the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs pretty much all Colombia is not recommended...

I want to go pretty much everywhere in Colombia.

Welcome to the Colombia forum, Anthony.

The French ministry is correct -- intercity driving/moto-riding in most areas of Colombia is a dubious proposition... especially at night, especially in unpatrolled areas.

I found out personally the hard way .. when the moto night riders pursued me south of Popayán in December....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=634337

Absolutely avoid the border areas and nighttime riding in southern Colombia.  If you can ride with a partner or a group, that would be safer.

I'd stick to the safest region, the Coffee Zone .. or the beach highway from Cartagena to Santa Marta.

Better yet, do this road trip in Ecuador.  But again, not in the border areas such as northern Ecuador.

And for G*d's sake, Anthony, don't joy-ride in rural areas of South America after dark.

cccmedia in Medellín

The only way to do a road trip to the big river, is to drive down through Colombia, following close to the coast, into Ecuador, continue south into Peru, and keep heading south til you are about the latitude of Lima. Then head East and you'll find roads going across Brasil, and up to Manaus, on the Amazon.  A total trip of many thousands of miles. Then you have to do the same journey back again. You will find cart tracks in various places, but most of them lead nowhere, and your car will probably sink in the bogs and marshes. I dread to think how many thousands of bucks in gasoline, and if you have a problem, you're done.

You could also do a similar thing, via Venezuela, crossing almost to the Guyanas / the Atlantic, and head south to the river, but Venezuela is not recommended at the moment, in view of all the violence and troubles there. But even if it were safe, its still a similar mileage.

Other things to take into account, are the Pacific coast of Colombia, the main town/city is Buenaventura, which is home to the infamous "casas de pique", or "chop houses". Google it, and you'll see what you will meet up with.

Far better to take a plane to Leticia for a few dozen euros.

Hahaha. """It's all about us, the people right?"""  Hell no, its all about stupidity or survival.

There's a great book I read many years ago. Try and get hold of a copy, its called Exploration Fawcett, the true story of a British army colonel who was sent to delineate the borders of the South American countries.  You'll learn so much about South America and the Amazonas. I heartily recommend it. You won't want to put it down.

I completely agree. The guerillas ride down the mountains at nite and go looking and the police dont really start trouble with them as they have their hands full. You might make it back but i wouldnt bet on it and if you did you would be broke. Buenaventura might be ok if you stay on main roads and dont venture off. Like someone else stated you go way form the police and you might be fish bait. The tour guides will tell you it is totally safe but they are all brown and fit in. Anyone else might think twice or at least be gone by dark. It is getting better but the economy is not so it is kind of like a wash. The economy might get better and i  might even bet on that so one must wait and see.