Working online in Bali for foreign business

Hi all !
I have a business as a freelance interior architect which I run
From Norway ; we are moving to Bali to build a house and life After much research and digging, I am still slightly baffled about the term ” working whilst in Bali ” I intend to work from home in Ubud and travel to Europe Asia and USA as a consultant .
I will design and carry out work for my overseas company and invoice and finance from Norway.
Where does this fit into the visa rules and regulations I wonder ? Is this allowed? We certainly do not wish to break laws in Bali !
Additionally we will build 3 guesthouses in our property and intend to rent these out with a Balinese partner running and managing on our behalf ( air B and B )
Our third income is a webshop selling Balinese interior goods globally .we intend to build a great relationship with craftsmen and locals here.
Again advice on these would be appreciated
In mid read of this very well thought through book so maybe I'll get answers but as you know it's sometimes like wading through treacle .. very nice but awfully tough at times 😉
Thanks in advance !
Suksma!
Derek

B.ark.as wrote:

From Norway ; we are moving to Bali to build a house and life

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The rules regarding visas are long, complex and commonly difficult but the rules about owning land are easier to simplify.
Private individuals are not allowed to own any land in Indonesia - no exceptions.
Foreigners are allowed to own some places but not including any land at all.
There are many 'schemes', but these are full of potential and real difficulties that make buying a very risky business. Long term leases are perfectly legal but have clear drawbacks.
Some foreign companies can buy land associated with business but the rules are complex and require a lot of investment.

B.ark.as wrote:

” working whilst in Bali ” I intend to work from home in Ubud and travel to Europe Asia and USA as a consultant .I will design and carry out work for my overseas company and invoice and finance from Norway.
Where does this fit into the visa rules and regulations I wonder ? Is this allowed? We certainly do not wish to break laws in Bali !

Foreigners working for a company in Bali must obtain a working permit but working online for an offshore company with zero income within Indonesia would be impossible to detect and no one would care anyway.
The working rules are designed to protect Indonesians from unemployment, not to stop money you will spend in local businesses.
Be honest with immigration when you apply for your visa and there should be little problem. 

B.ark.as wrote:

Additionally we will build 3 guesthouses in our property and intend to rent these out with a Balinese partner running and managing on our behalf ( air B and B )
Our third income is a webshop selling Balinese interior goods globally .we intend to build a great relationship with craftsmen and locals here.

That takes you into the domain of setting up a PT company. A PT will be able to sponsor your visa but  significant investment is required. You also need to look at occupancy rates for hotels and guest houses in the area as I understand there are far too many places already.
Anyone looking at selling locally made products overseas will be welcomed as the unemployment rate is an issue on the island.

Hi Fred Thankyou for your kind and detailed response
Much appreciated !
We are leasing land and will consider all the IMB and local banyar issues .etc

As for the investment for the business , is there any idea of what that may be? An approximate is fine for now . Also will we need to set up an additional Pt business for the export ; I assume yes . If so it may be we set the business up here and run an import from here instead ? Unless the fee for set up for the pt is affordable.
Again Thankyou

I am trying to wrap my head around this as well.,
I found these two sites that might be helpful to you as well.

http://www.expat.or.id/business/company … hment.htmlhttp://www.healyconsultants.com/indones … setup-llc/

The Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM) offers a lot of info too,
I spoke with two very friendly representatives in Singapore,
but I know that they offer consultation via email too.

I am not sure which type of company you are aiming for but the estimated minimum investment
can be found on those websites.

have a nice day
&
see you around

Thanks FAris
That's very appreciated !
Best
Derek

your welcome!
hope you share the news how it turned out once you are over the hill,
and describe the view when your up there so I can imagine it and my  become lighter
:)
good luck!!!

Hi there I'm
Looking to get boho chic clothing made and screen printing my own artwork onto them in Bali.
Does anyone have any contacts?