Internet Access

Hi All:
Have fallen in love with Belize and am hoping to buy within the next year as second home.  This might sound really foolish (hope not), but I  will need to be able to work remotely on projects with consistent internet speed. I'm not talking games or live streaming but need bandwidth to connect to remote SQL and ERP sites in the US to do work.  It's looking pretty dismal.  Is that the real case and any suggestions?

dragonia64 wrote:

Hi All:
Have fallen in love with Belize and am hoping to buy within the next year as second home.  This might sound really foolish (hope not), but I  will need to be able to work remotely on projects with consistent internet speed. I'm not talking games or live streaming but need bandwidth to connect to remote SQL and ERP sites in the US to do work.  It's looking pretty dismal.  Is that the real case and any suggestions?

Internet can be an issue as bandwidth requirements increase. I do a lot of live streaming using primarily Google Hangouts and the likes and it has been a struggle to get required bandwith at a price I can afford. I have found that 2Mb at about BZ$150.00/Mo. is the least I can get away with. 4Mb would be better but the price tag (pretty much twice as much) is prohibitive for me (you may have a bigger budget) and up to 16Mb is available from the local company I have now. The trouble with ISP's, as I am sure you are probably aware is that the all important upload is usually a fraction of the download. We are in the San Ignacio area where I have found that the cable company actually provides consistant 2Mb up and down, this is the first time I have seen that. It is also hardwired right to my computer which is a major factor to achieve stable speeds, but it is still delivered to our local system via satalite so there are occasional drop outs as a result of that too, usually at the least convenient moment.

If internet is something that is a major requirement for a stress free life, be sure to contact the local providers directly to get an idea of what you can expect. Although, that been said I have also been promised what I need and left disappointed in the past too. Just MHO but I find the techs. out and about in their trucks are far more forth coming with reliable information than the office staff.

I hope this helps.