Recommendations: Reliable cheap 2nd hand scooter or motorbike models

Hey guys,

Looking at getting a scooter / motorbike soon. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a cheap 2nd hand scooter or motorbike (Brand, model etc)?

Or does anyone know of brands or models to avoid?

Many thanks!

How much are you willing to spend? What will you use the bike for (riding in the city to work, or also for trips? mainly for long trips?). How long do you intent to stick with that bike? Do you want something that just works, or also something that DOESN'T look like you borrowed it from a pig meat transporter/seller? :D
A Honda Dream would be a solid choice as a allround bike. It has proven itself for >2 decades on VN streets.
If you want to use it mainly for long trips: Honda Win, it takes a beating almost an AK47. Any shop can repair it. In the classified section of this site you will see many of them for sell from backpacker who sells them before leaving vietnam.

Otherwise there are tons of other models and brands that works well. The thing is, there are always bike that have their parts "cooked": got their high quality parts sold and replaced with low quality chinese knockoffs. So you can only be sure if you let a trusted mechanics inspect it... and even then you can't really be sure. As a local trusted friend to help you.

Thanks a lot! Yeah I would prefer a manual bike I guess. As I would like to be able to use it on a trip if I decide to do one. I think I would be looking for something 10,000,000VND and under. I was considering a Honda Dream but I guess I would prefer to have at least a 125cc. I'm not very keen on the Honda Wins to be honest, I would prefer a scooter because it seems more practical in the HCMC.

well... 10M is not too cheap, but still cheap. In this price range bikes like Honda Wave are dominant, there are some other Brands, but I don't think they are that good. The thing is, bikes in that class mostly have "only"  110cm³ max. You have to spend more money to even get to 125cm³. If you want to get to 150cm and still a automatic or semi-manual you have little choice and you pay a lot more.
Looking at your picture you seem like a big guy and would explain why you think you would need more than 125cm³. Maybe a Honda PCX would suit you. They often start at 30M secondhand, 28M if you are lucky.

1 - Honda or Yamaha - Best two

2 - Forget manuals for city work - They are a lot of messing around and the footwell on a scooter protects you from the rain, and saves you messing about with waterproof trousers after the rain. I made the mistake of buying a 'real' bike but soon realised and switched to a scooter.

3 - make sure whatever you buy has seen regular servicing

4 - Make sure you have a valid licence

Hell no to a non-Honda (= newer or new) Dream. stay away from "Honda" Wins, too.

Step through bikes are very reliable. they have semi automatic clutches and are made by Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha.

Personally, i dislike scooters. They are thirsty and deferred maintenance might cost you dearly.

FYI, I saw older bikes in CAM PHA by a dealer who wasn't hiking up prices for a foreigner. 6-8 M would buy them. Have a full service performed, maybe change the chain and a tyre. Yes, you can get Western brand tyres like Dunlop or Michelin.

Get a real helmet if you value your head.

There was a thread on the fairy tales regarding "Honda" Wins. All those dealer ads in the private section of Craigslist. TBH, I would not buy one of those if I could get it for $ 88.

I don't have personal experience, but Tigit Motors and Stevie's Garage are two long time dealers who speak English, cater to foreigners, advertise on Craigslist and Facebook.

SYM makes scooters, too which depreceate quickly. But deferred maintenance might turn that 7 M bargain into a loss-making money pit.

What would be the use of the bike?

Daily commute, or some longer tours as well?

https://ibb.co/miYFd5

And are about 40 % more expensive than a local bike shop .