Living on the Danube- off the beaten track, but amazing.

First, I'm not in RE (hate it), I'm a teacher. Just a happy inhabitant of Tutrakan, Bulgaria, between Rousse and Silistra. Sorry this article is old and needs updating, but hopefully the photos are enough. http://bit.ly/1HUSrBB

If it interests you, though, go nowhere near the several RE developers in Tutrakan: evil. Go there and have a look around. I see plenty of places with prodava on them now and have an excellent lawyer with good English who could put in some calls for you. She charges zip.

Rousse is also an amazing city, not Balkan at all, very old Europe.

Think it's too far from Sofia? Just over the bridge to Bucharest, far superior to Sofia.

And omg, the fishing.

I have a house in the Ruse district, near Byala and too agree that that Ruse or Rousse is a great city to visit and see the culture, it has an older feel and obviously not on the scale of Sofia but certainly a place that offers plenty. I had not heard of Tutraken until recently and have booked a few nights with family to stay in the area for a short break in August. Regarding Bucharest that is a city that bustles along at a very hectic pace at times, I flew in to Bucharest a few years ago and spent a few nights there, I was astonished at the volume of traffic, width of certain roads and the formula 1 style of our taxi driver ha-ha, I know I am slightly off topic regarding your post I just anted to add my experience and opinion too it.
Regards Steve.

Older folks prefer Brasov, etc. ;) Last time I was in Bucharest/Lipscani I realized I was past that part of my time re nightlife, though shopping good.

Thanks for up-thumbing the Ruse region. I do think some buyers are making errors when they focus on VT area, just because of the other Brits, which frankly I avoid  in crowds- individuals fine. SO many beautiful places in Bg left largely ignored, and cheaper prices too!