Living with a fiance in Muscat

Hello all,
I'm new to this group and am looking for some advice.  My fiance and I are both EFL teachers and he has been offered a position at a university.  I have applied but am waiting to find out if I have been accepted for the position. 

My question is: we were not planning to get married before we move to Oman but in a year of so after we have had time to save money, etc.  Is it culturally acceptable for us to live together as an engaged couple?  Our university would pay for our accommodation and it would be in a housing complex with other foreigners.  When we asked this question during different interviews (for jobs in Nizwa and Muscat) we were told that while it isn't legal it probably wouldn't be a problem as long as we were discreet. Cultural sensitivity is of course paramount and I completely understand PDA is not acceptable but can we live together as an unmarried couple?  Thanks for any thoughtful insights or experience you could share related to this topic.

Hi nycmilongera,

You are free to live together in the same apartment just as any married couple would.

You won't have the religious police come knocking on your doors at midnight demanding to verify your marriage certificate  - at least not here in Oman !

Dear Sumitran,

Thank you for your reply and the information.  This is very helpful. 

Best wishes!