Apply for Passport outside of UK

Hi

I am traveling Asia and my passport is almost full. I need to renew it and intend to use the service of VFS. On the form it says:-

one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency within the last year.

Does this have to be from the country I am in or can it be something like a bank statement from the UK which shows my address?

Has anyone applied for a new passport in Vietnam?

Thanks in advance

Pongles

I would presume its in the UK as that is the passport youre applying for.

Hello Pongles,

Welcome to expat.com. :)

Please consult the following website for more details about overseas british passport applications :

- https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Best of luck.

Regards,

Sarvesh
expat.com team

All UK passports are now sent from Liverpool, UK. Even for British nationals living in a foreign country. Please refer to Sarvesh link.

Should you loose, or if your passport expires you are able to get an Emergency passport (ETD - Emergency Travel Document) from the nearest Embassy or consulate.

You can use an emergency travel document to travel to your destination through a maximum of 5 countries. You can also normally use it to return to where you are now if you live in the country you're applying from.

Your travel plans (countries and dates) will be printed on your emergency travel document. If you change your travel plans once you have your emergency travel document, you'll need to apply for a new one.

Your existing British passport will be cancelled in most cases.

I did this from Indonesia - It's a bit of a pain as paperwork always is, but it get's done without serious hassle.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies but they all state what I have already done.  I did say:-

On the form it says:-

one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency within the last year.

Note that I say 'ON THE FORM IT SAYS'.  This means that I have already visited the site mentioned AND have printed all the relevant documents.  So, the question, a little more clear is:-

I am traveling Asia and my UK passport is getting full.  I need to apply for a new one while away and will use the service of VFS.  On the forms, which I have down loaded (after visiting, reading, and printing documents from https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports) it says:-

Does this need to be an address whilst I am in Vietnam (where I will be applying) or an address in the UK?  Now, as I am outside of the UK the only documents that I can get with my home address would be an online bank statement.  Would this be classed as OK?

I hope that the above clarifies the original question as far too many have replied by saying 'visit https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports for more info' which I had already done and which is where I got the sentence mentioned.

Oh, and one more thing to clarify:-

I am a UK Passport holder.

Thanks

Pongles

Why not try at a UK embassy and get the correct information, problem solved.