Close

Living in Halong Bay/City

Hi everyone. I am planning on moving to Halong Bay or Halong City for work. I can find lots of tourist information, but no much about actually living there.

Has anyone lived there before? Or are currently living there? I'd love to know what it is like to live there. I am a bit worried about choosing the beauty of Halong Bay over the big city life of HCMC.

Any information or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Chris.

Well, a lot will depend on your circle of friends. I've lived in Quang Hanh nearby. No bars or shops being open. Frequent power cuts and internet issues. I was bloody lonely

Ha Long is expensive.

Hi Chris!

I would say Ha Long is not a busy city. Almost no real bar or pub yet (they are building). If you wanna hang out at night then the city is sleeping that time. Not so many things to do.

But if you are a guy who prefer nature then you can live there some months for your experience. My foreigner friends who were living in Halong always rent scooter and drive around the province to explore. 3 famous islands nearby, waterfall, pagodas, moutains to climb, etc. and really fresh seafood if you like them.
About the work there, being a teacher is the most popular job for foreigners. As i know, at Bigben english center in Halong they pay 17-20$/hour. Thats the lowest. But you always can make it higher.

Should always live in the center of the city, near Bai Chay bridge or you may feel too bored.

But no matter where you would move to, the best way is to find a local friend there. They would like to help you with things im sure. And, the price is expensive or not, its all up to you 😉 if you get a good guide.

Hi Cris,

I hope my comment isn't too late. I currently work in Halong City as an English teacher. This place is for people who like a peaceful and tranquil environment. There are some tourist destinations around but I haven't been to any of them. Maybe because I don't really have a companion to begin with. If you want to go around the city, you might want to buy a motorbike or a bicycle. I have a bicycle though I don't roam around often because it's just too hot and it suddenly rains these days. Anyway, you can message me if you have further questions.

Hello teacherken.

Can you please tell me about teaching environment in ha long?
Your reply is deeply appreciated.. Thanks... :D

Well, so far I've only taught in one school here so I can't give you a wide perspective of the teaching environment here. Based on my experience, there are only few expats here because they don't likeva laid back kind of life. Native teachers are paid more than $1500 while non natives receive a bit lower than that. Teachers normally teach in centers with more or less ten students but there are also who teach in public and private schools with more than 30 students. Working hours is around 20 or more per week. The students and locals' english level is quite low so you need to cope with that as well.

Hi Chris

Just wondering if you made the move to Ha Long Bay? I am considering the move myself and also can’t find much information about actually living in the city.
If you are there, can you help me with a few questions.
What is the cost of living say in comparison to HMC or Hanoi.
Is there a decent expect community?
Healthcare?
Decent shopping? Even a big c will do haha.

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I am making the right decision before making the big move.

Thanks in advance
Bianca

Hi

I am considering the move myself and also can’t find much information about actually living in the city.
I was hoping you can help me with a few questions.
What is the cost of living say in comparison to HMC or Hanoi.
Is there a decent expect community?
Healthcare?
Decent shopping? Even a big c will do haha.

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I am making the right decision before making the big move.

Thanks in advance
Bianca

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam