Living in Halong Bay/City

Hi everyone. I am planning on moving to Halong Bay or Halong City for work. I can find lots of tourist information, but no much about actually living there.

Has anyone lived there before? Or are currently living there? I'd love to know what it is like to live there. I am a bit worried about choosing the beauty of Halong Bay over the big city life of HCMC.

Any information or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Chris.

Well, a lot will depend on your circle of friends. I've lived in Quang Hanh nearby. No bars or shops being open. Frequent power cuts and internet issues. I was bloody lonely

Ha Long is expensive.

Hi Chris!

I would say Ha Long is not a busy city. Almost no real bar or pub yet (they are building). If you wanna hang out at night then the city is sleeping that time. Not so many things to do.

But if you are a guy who prefer nature then you can live there some months for your experience. My foreigner friends who were living in Halong always rent scooter and drive around the province to explore. 3 famous islands nearby, waterfall, pagodas, moutains to climb, etc. and really fresh seafood if you like them.
About the work there, being a teacher is the most popular job for foreigners. As i know, at Bigben english center in Halong they pay 17-20$/hour. Thats the lowest. But you always can make it higher.

Should always live in the center of the city, near Bai Chay bridge or you may feel too bored.

But no matter where you would move to, the best way is to find a local friend there. They would like to help you with things im sure. And, the price is expensive or not, its all up to you 😉 if you get a good guide.

Hi Cris,

I hope my comment isn't too late. I currently work in Halong City as an English teacher. This place is for people who like a peaceful and tranquil environment. There are some tourist destinations around but I haven't been to any of them. Maybe because I don't really have a companion to begin with. If you want to go around the city, you might want to buy a motorbike or a bicycle. I have a bicycle though I don't roam around often because it's just too hot and it suddenly rains these days. Anyway, you can message me if you have further questions.

Hello teacherken.

Can you please tell me about teaching environment in ha long?
Your reply is deeply appreciated.. Thanks... :D

Well, so far I've only taught in one school here so I can't give you a wide perspective of the teaching environment here. Based on my experience, there are only few expats here because they don't likeva laid back kind of life. Native teachers are paid more than $1500 while non natives receive a bit lower than that. Teachers normally teach in centers with more or less ten students but there are also who teach in public and private schools with more than 30 students. Working hours is around 20 or more per week. The students and locals' english level is quite low so you need to cope with that as well.

Hi Chris

Just wondering if you made the move to Ha Long Bay? I am considering the move myself and also can't find much information about actually living in the city.
If you are there, can you help me with a few questions.
What is the cost of living say in comparison to HMC or Hanoi.
Is there a decent expect community?
Healthcare?
Decent shopping? Even a big c will do haha.

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I am making the right decision before making the big move.

Thanks in advance
Bianca

Hi

I am considering the move myself and also can't find much information about actually living in the city.
I was hoping you can help me with a few questions.
What is the cost of living say in comparison to HMC or Hanoi.
Is there a decent expect community?
Healthcare?
Decent shopping? Even a big c will do haha.

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I am making the right decision before making the big move.

Thanks in advance
Bianca

So how is it living in Halong? I'm speaking to some people about a job in Quang Ninh city. Is that far from Halong? What's the expat circle like?
Cheerio,
AB :)

Halong is an city and in center of Quang Ninh province,

Any expats living in Halong?

Expensive. Boring. Usually cloudy. Below average food. Wasn't for me.

I'm planning to move to Halong in july 2018. Doesn't sound too great according to this thread, but still open to make new expat friends to make my stay a little less boring :)

I'm also moving there in July to work, I'd be keen to meet some expats to explore with.

Hi Ariel :)

I hope you are well, sorry for the random message but I saw you left a comment on a topic about expats in Ha Long. I'm just wondering if you made the move? If so how you're finding it? I'm moving out in 3 weeks time as an English teacher and just wanted to find out from a native English person what life is like there.

Thank you,

Nikita

HI Ibizamari,
I don't know how and why you feel like that.  But in my oppinion, Halong is a so beautiful, the food is so good with fresh sea food. And it is easy to find other tradition Vietnam food, or korean, chinese, or italian food. There are shopping centre, movie theater, beach, and a huge water park with many game here. You also can drive around the boundary road to see the bay in the morning or in the dawn.
Ha long is a bit more expensive than other small town within Vietnam but not other city like Da Nang, Sai Gon, Ha Noi. Make a comparsion with many city in the world, Halong is a cheaper city! And i have a tip for you, don't go to luxury restuanrant to find a cheap meal!

Hi Arial

Have you moved to Halong bay?

Was it easy to find an apartment? What is the life like?

Thanks,
Laurin

Hi Nikita

I will be there soon and would love to know what your experience is like once you move there.

Thanks,
Laurin

Hi Nikita,

I think the place is beautiful. The people are friendly. The only problem I have is the fact the accommodation available is mainly about 25 mins from the city and I don't ride a motorbike. I'm trying to learn but terrified! Ha ha! It's a bit expensive for taxis.
Other than that I really like the place and I'm looking forward to exploring once I'm more settled. I'm also an English teacher.
Feel free to keep in touch, happy to advise on anything and also meet up with you once you're here :)

Hi ,
I have been here 3 weeks and enjoying life so far! Ask me anything you like :)

It's great apartments are lovely and it's lively near the tourist area lots of bars and restaurants :)

HI Ibizamari,
I don't know how and why you feel like that.  But in my oppinion, Halong is a so beautiful, the food is so good with fresh sea food. And it is easy to find other tradition Vietnam food, or korean, chinese, or italian food. There are shopping centre, movie theater, beach, and a huge water park with many game here. You also can drive around the boundary road to see the bay in the morning or in the dawn.
Ha long is a bit more expensive than other small town within Vietnam but not other city like Da Nang, Sai Gon, Ha Noi. Make a comparsion with many city in the world, Halong is a cheaper city! And i have a tip for you, don't go to luxury restuanrant to find a cheap meal!

Hey Ariel

Thanks for the info, I am so glad you are enjoying the area. Which areas so you suggest for staying? I am moving on the 1st of October and will be looking for a place. Do you know of any gyms?

What school are you working for? Would be great to meet once we both settled.

Thanks,
Laurin

Hi there! @TeacherKen

Hopefully you still in Vietnam and looking for a friend or travel buddy - I am new to the country!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Jayden Almirall

Greetings,

Is it cheaper to buy a bike in Hanoi? Would like a manual (honda if available) 150cc +.

Or are there places around Ha Long that won't screw you over? Staying for a year (or more) so would like to buy one.

Also busy staying in a hotel for 2 weeks until I find a house, any cheap ideas for me in Ha Long... or what about sharing? Do expats do this? Would love to save money on accommodation so I can travel more when I have free time with my motorbike.

Any other tips/advice moving into HA long would appreciate it. Otherwise Guess Il experience it first hand this Friday :D

Looking to make expat friends and travel buddies.

Regards
Jayden

Hi!

Bit of a Long shot that you'd still be here but just moved to Ha Long, and very new to the area. Trying to find other expats

And / or information about the area generally! (Things to do/eating spots/ shopping tips)

Hey,

I've been offered a teaching job in ha long/ bai chay! I will be there in October.

How are you finding it there so far??

hannah95x wrote:

Hey,

I've been offered a teaching job in ha long/ bai chay! I will be there in October.

How are you finding it there so far??

Anytime you want to address your comment to a specific poster, you need to click on "Quote" at the end of that person's post, then type your comment below the quote.  See how I quoted your last comment?

Without the Quote function, no one would answer your comment or question because no one would know if s/he is the person with whom you want to have a conversation.

Hello. Considering a move to Ha Long City. How are you liking it there? Are there many expats? How are the local people toward foreigners? How is the cleanliness and sanitation in the city? Do you experience any power cuts or water cuts? Thank you for taking the time to reply. Hope you are enjoying Vietnam.