How to make friends in New York

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in New York :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in New York??

Thanks in advance for your participation

"Friend ship is not buld ,its born". Dont be bothered about friends that will come soon.Sorry i dont have any tools or books for making friends..:D

Hi I have just moved to New York to work with Local Bigwig!
Look at website: NYC Meet Up. You can meet with groups who share common interests!

Expat.com wrote:

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in New York :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in New York??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I moved to NY recently and I have made a bunch of friends.  I consider myself a lively and outgoing person not afraid to start conversation.  I go to a lot of coffee shops, clubs, lounges, galleries etc.  Its all about networking and being curious and adventurous when in new places, especially New York!  Have a great time, work hard, play hard and friends will come.

Good Luck and Cheers!

If you are new to an area or country, it can be hard making friends.  If you are working in a different area, dont be afraid to reach out to your coworkers and try to attend their get-togethers.  Whether they go out every Wednesday night for drinks, holiday parties, sport clubs, or any other gatherings, you should strive to attend some of these.

Same thing goes for outside the job.  Try to get involved in local organizations or clubs in your local area related to your interests/hobbies.  With the internet nowadays, you can browse what is happening in your local area.

My main point is that if you want to meet people, you have to be around people.  Networking is a funny thing; you meet one close friend, you can gain ten more friends through their networks.  Invite your coworkers over for a game night or your neighbor over for dinner.  It has to start somewhere.

Well in my case, i was an exchange student. So at first, believe me, it's hard! But with my family and loved ones support, it may it more easy. It was a relief when i had friends and happy just being me in a strange place.

Harriet Mcdougall,
(moderated: no free ads please)

Initially I felt a bit lonely when I first moved to the USA in late 90's.  I moved to this country with everything I had including my British English accent which often times was more hilarious than offensive to my innocent bystanders and to me.  Learned to laugh at your own language mistakes and your lack of understanding of the American idioms.

A recent immigrant with a different culture intrigues our American friends in many aspects.  See yourself as an unofficial diplomat of your people and start sharing information with your hosts.  Having some social skills and being genuinely friendly help a lot.  Be prepared for some intrusive or offensive questions and try very hard not to take these questions personal. 

Some of the best places to make new friends are your local volunteer clubs or groups.  Just like living in any foreign community, as a newcomer, you must learn to be inclusive to be included.  Be part of the community to be considered as one.

Last but not least, join a local dining group or form one if there is none.  Bring your local food.  Often times it is your food that becomes the ice breaker!  Trust me as my chicken rendang can speak for itself. ;)