Mistakes expats make in South Africa

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to South Africa? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in South Africa to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Oh the mistakes we made.

1. Assuming services would run properly.
2. Thinking that the truck delivering our container of goods would have a lift.
3. Assuming that one would get all of the information one needed to get services, visa, etc. There was always a surprise.
4. Assuming that a woman could sign certain papers without her husband's signature as well.
5. Not realizing that one needed to provide "proof of residence" like posted electric bills, or telephone bills, in order to open a bank account.
6. Thinking that once we had finished our meal in a restaurant, we would be presented with the bill. It took a long time before we realized we had to ask for it.
7. Assuming that everyone worked hard and wanted to be capitalists. For Americans it seems unthinkable that people would close their businesses on Sunday AND for two weeks at Christmas! It's something we have become used to, and embrace ( except when we need something urgently).
8. Thinking internet service and connectivity would be up to date and reliable.
9. Assuming that anything would be reliable.
10. Assuming that this is a first world country. It is still a struggling and chaotic country, still defining itself. Still dealing with the past and trying to negotiate with its own inflated expectations. There is much to love here, and it has been a long process of readjusting impressions and one's understanding of vast cultural differences.
11. Thinking we would be welcome. Many South Africans grew up hating America, and once again are viewing all Americans as idiots. For a brief while we were accepted and embraced during the Obama years, and treated like friends. Now we battle at every gathering, once again, to explain that we did not vote for him. And we are still surprised at some of the propoganda and much real information that never makes its way to the US.

I dont think its this bad .Every country has there own culture & way of doing things.So I believe we need to respect it.Comparing it with another country will only add in to your frustration.Crime is unfortunately high in SA but if you are vigilant you will be safe.

@kristineberg Most of these are subjective and could have been avoided by better planning/research on your part. For example having a valid, traceable address is a requirement for pretty much anything in South Africa - not just opening a bank account. Everyone know this and understands why we need such measures. Also the reason people in South Africa don't expect their bill as soon as they are done eating is because restaurants are not just places to sit, eat and leave... Most people like to have conversations, enjoy the environment, etc and being given your bill as soon as you're done eating would be considered rude (like being asked to leave.)

From the attitude in your post I would understand perfectly why you would feel like South Africans hate you. The whole point of moving to a different country is being open-minded towards new cultures, traditions and environment. You seem to have come with the expectation that South Africa would adapt into an environment you are familiar with.. but it doesn't work that way. We don't close business on Sunday because we are not hard working. We do so because in South Africa Sunday is a family day that different people celebrate in different ways in South African culture. We braai, we go to soccer/rugby/cricket games, we go the beach. Religion is also important is SA and people care more about church and family than making an extra profit- and it works for them. We won't suddenly start doing things the American way just because we have a few Americans around. You can't expect to be accepted and embraced by an entire nation when you seem it's their duty to adjust their way of living in their own country to suit your expectations.

The problem is not with South Africa and how it's people do things. The problem is you didn't do enough research on the place you were moving to. Things like getting a reliable internet service provider, decent moving company, etc were things you should have researched before relocation to avoid disappointment.

Our biggest mistake was to expect South Africa to operate like Canada. I got frustrated a lot in the beginning, and it wasn't until I put my own stupid expectations aside that I really started to appreciate everything about being here. So things take a little longer- so what? If it was the same as home here, I honestly wouldn't see the point in coming.

There were a lot of little tricks I learned along the way to deal with specific frustrations, but for sure, if you're moving here from North America, the UK, wherever, the best thing you can do for your own sanity is to just go with the flow. You'll enjoy your time much more that way, and you won't seem like a bitter foreigner who thinks you're better than everybody else.