Mistakes expats make in Papua New Guinea

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Papua New Guinea? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Papua New Guinea to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

One of the biggest mistakes I see people make (in my opinion) is staying seperate from the local culture.  I know that sometimes companies don't want employees to get too ingrained for a variety of reasons, but if you are going to live in a foreign country then you should engage the culture.  The balance here is safety, but if you go slow, listen to advice and learn your surroundings you can go many Places, and make many local friends who will be able to help you enter the culture on a deeper and safe level.  Make friends outside of your work or ethnic circle, including other exists and locals.  Life id's about relationships, you can make those anywhere in the world.  Anyone wanting to make some new friends, just contact me.  My wife and I (American) were in POM 18 months and will be returning to POM early May 2017.

i totally agree with Stevehigh