Mistakes expats make in Mexico

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Mexico? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Mexico to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Plenty, was more trusting than I should have been. Also in preparing to move down here, I brought way too much stuff "I just had to have" which in turn was stored in my truck camper, and moved from one place to the next, and never used. But all in all, moving here was the best decision of my life. If I could rewind and do it again, I would  be closer to natural in Spanish, and bring less of my old life.

No of course not, kidding Ja Ja Ja.

The biggest one was the car. Yes it was fine for awhile , then the street got flooded, my car was tough and sailed through snow , but didn't do well with feet of water. the engine stalled, feet of water can do that, I had to open the door to get out so I then had water in the car. the electrical failed, and the car could not be locked, so someone took everything they could from the car, The insurance thought about what to do for 2 weeks . The car sat in a lot untouched .

Yet it was a truly valiant well designed car, it survived and I drove it back to the US after it lost 1/2 of its value and sold it. It was mechanically sound despite the mechanics the insurance company insisted on.

I was house sitting near our canal that drains from the mountains.  Canal overflowed and car was in 4 feet of water and mud. Almost 2 months to clean and replace electrical things.  Then the mechanic had to go thru everything. Hurricane Jova

For others don{t buy a property in first year.  Need to know your area, weather and neighborhood

Safety First! Move to a good area. That was something I did right! I live in Tijuana and despite the few problems I have had I love living in Mexico!!!

What I do wrong, and that's time and time again.

Propane tank: I do not have a pressure gauge on my system. Cold showers happen every 2 months. I hate it but I haven't added one because I rent the house not own it.

Drinking Water storage: I have 3 "5 gallon" bottles of drinking water. I should have 3 times that much.

Water for showering and cleaning: The municipal water authority doesn't tell us when the water is going to be turned off! So if you can, take your showers at night because in the rare case that your water is turned off you don't want to have it ruin your day.

My Electricity: I have a Refrigerator that runs way to much and it is costing me tons. When I sell my truck I'm going to buy a new super efficient one.

The Ultimate problem and always will be. I am not fluent. I understand a good amount and speak ok but I have my struggles. My wife does because she is from Sonora.

So Kellyberto,
my first thought is are you speaking English or Spanish to your wife ?  There is the perfect person to practice with.

As for the gauge , getting a new one shouldn't be that expensive. It sounds like the constant cold showers are very frustrating.
If I were you The refrigerator would go yesterday. They are not that expensive and you should quickly recover the cost in greatly reduced electric bills.

Do you have water delivery in your area ? I have a system that was not real expensive and i just put the recently delivered 20 L bottle on that cooler. There are also plastic systems in the market that are very economical.  They are just plastic bases with a spout, but they work.

Thank you all for the great information, much appreciated. My wife and I are not Expats yet but when the business is sold and home is sold, a diesel pusher will be home and we will drive it down to Quitana Roo. We are looking for information from Expats who have experience with larger diesel pusher driving in and around Mexico and what they have learned.

RV Net
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea … rum/66.cfm

thanks

I am currently living in San Miguel de Allende (and this is my starting point in living in Mexico). One thing I have found that I have not made a decision about yet is that starting in mid-March the air becomes quite dry which irritates my nose. I have been told this will last for several months. I have a small humidifier but it doesn't help that much. Perhaps using more humidifiers might be a solution. Which also means consuming more electricity.

In actuality the cost of electricity here is much less than what it cost me in Canada so relatively not a huge problem. My electricity bills in Canada (in a 2 bedroom house) were always over $100 for 2 months (even in the summer) and reaching just under $200 in mid-winter. Here they have been typically $60 cdn for 2 months and that is running an air conditioner for half the day and a humidifier almost all day.

It might be that I will find an alternate place to live where the humidity is higher. I am considering Mazatlan, for one.

This Is My Story, but It's Not About Me!

https://bestplacesintheworldtoretire.co … amp;id=606

Here's an unusual one. Be able to do a currency exchange cold. When you can't do the math quickly you (in this case me) might be more suspicious of the charge and convey that suspicion, which is an unattractive behavior when it's not justified.

Hi  Kerryin Mexico,

Money period is an issue. They say the numbers very fast, and then. of  course there is the change. I'm always struggling to.not get any change, but often it does not work and my pockets and purse gain another pound of coins. They don't want all of the coins either so they are always giving me change.

Liverpool is the worse. They don't give their clerks much in the way of change, so even if you are only 50 pesos over , it is likely they will have to go for change.

Well, I am suffering with discretion from mistakes that ExPats continue to make in San Miguel de Allende and this has caused  prices to rise considerably.
For example , a Mexican has a house for sale and quotes a price, of Course , he is thinking  in Pesos, but the ExPats think in Dollars and negotiate the sale in Dollars. The surprised Mexican now starts thinking that all Expats are wealthy and starts upping prices when dealing with English speaking ExPats. This is just what I see here.

Oh yes cedmac,

lazy expats are a problem.

I think in pesos , so it takes a few minutes to get out my exchange calculator to figure in dollars.. I would think finding out what the exchange rate is, would be pretty basic. Over tipping is another issue. Each of us should find out what the going rate is for everything.

Recently some of the guys who wash cars decided for expats the cost of a car wash would be $100 pesos. others pay $50. I told him I wasn't paying gringo tax and I would pay the standard rate only. I also don't tip the garbage men, or taxi drivers . The garbage men's pay is included in the city water bill. I tip waiters 20% as I would in the U,S, and I pay my house keeper very well , keeping and  eye on gas increases and minimum wage increases. The web site that quotes $100 pesos a room which is way over what I pay for a housekeeper,  is really not helping expats at all.

What they want is a fair reliable income, and fair treatment. Anything else drives prices up for everyone and risks everyone.

It does put us all at increased risk especially for robbery and separates us from the community as other, wealthy. and foreign.

Thank you Travelling.

Indeed you are right. I can only blame myself. I should have the money by next week for a new refrigerator.

My drinking water is located on the same street and it very inexpensive 10 pesos for 5 gallons. So I don't worry about it. But in the event our street has no water pressure their facility doesn't either.

Maybe I'm just lazy with the propane but it would be very easy for me to get a pressure gauge and install it. I used to be a plumber assistant and worked for home Depot. So I have no excuse. I earned those cold showers! Lol

If there is anything else to mention I would say get extra security for your vehicle. Lowjack if it's new. And never leave valuables in plain sight. Use a club like lock plus alarm or have a kill switch. I park mine in front of the nearby police booth! They watch me get in and out. Even tonight the local cop was wondering who I was until I told them I was living next to them. I'm not too friendly with them and keep my distance a bit because you can't trust everyone no matter where you live!

Plus no matter where you shop, they always don't have the Centavos, so if you shop in 5 different stores  you are  giving them extra investment. Look, if you go to Liverpool and you give up 30 centavos, it may not sound like much but if 500 people shop there every day and give up their centavos, then the store is gaining quite a bit for failing to have change. I know that often times they say its for Donations, but I would rather choose to whom I donate. Thank you.

Hi kellyberto,

I'm curious about why you are not on friendlier terms with the police ? Is there a problem. The police here know me , I smile and wave at them and they wave when they drive by. I have no problems with them, which is good because there are a lot of them, especially state police. City police can be an issue in some places, but I have never had a problem with State police.

My neighbors also know me and watch out for me.

Your street water must be more processed than most. I was advised not to use ours except to wash things and water plants.

Just goes to show how different each part of Mexico is.

Glad there is a lower electric bill and hot water in your future.

Kellyberto,  please be very careful that you are not drinking Tap Water. The  waters in some regions of Mexico contain high amounts of Fluoride , Arsenic, Mercury and other toxic elements, thus destroying Teeth and Bones in young Children due to deficiency in Calcium.
In some communities in San Miguel de Allende where I live, I see kids  with twisted bones walking as if they are suffering from Osteoporosis.

Tipping:
I tip God 10%, so I will not tip any human being more that i tip god.
I never tip Taxi drivers here unless they  get out of their car and help me with something.
Always get a Fee for your trip before getting into a Taxi, and always look back when leaving the cab to see if you left something behind.
I have lost several phones in taxis and they never return them.
Just be careful.
Regards

Oh Dr. C '

I get my change, they always run off to the main office to get it, They insist and I stand there and wait for the 1 peso or 2 pesos.
I shop there often, because they have very good quality. Where they make the extra money is in the parking lot. If you are in and out you are fine but after 10-15 minutes it starts adding up and an hour or so later its 10 pesos. But it is secure mostly covered parking so I figure its fair and it is a big mall with many stores. :)

Well this is a question for which it took me a thinking period before giving my comments.
First, lots of expats talk in english to mexican hoping they understand their request!!!
Second, lots of expats misunderstand what they were told in spanish or spanglish!!!
Third, lots of expats talk to other expats about mexican way of doing business...look at the two previous items!!!
Fourth, taxis...lots of expats ask the taxi driver or other expats the rate...should ask the cab company!!!
Fifth, tips/propina, lots of foreigners visiting give a perception of richness...giving way to much propina (standard is 10% of the total bill, some restaurants include it on the bill but if not good service, not mandatory to pay it)!!!
Sixth, lots of expats think that every person they meet are honest...beware they are not always local inhabitants, even banks can overcharge!!!

Finally, we, as expats, should try very hard to blend in our new welcoming country!!!

Adios, GyC.

mexicogc wrote:

Well this is a question for which it took me a thinking period before giving my comments.
First, lots of expats talk in english to mexican hoping they understand their request!!!
Second, lots of expats misunderstand what they were told in spanish or spanglish!!!
Third, lots of expats talk to other expats about mexican way of doing business...look at the two previous items!!!
Fourth, taxis...lots of expats ask the taxi driver or other expats the rate...should ask the cab company!!!
Fifth, tips/propina, lots of foreigners visiting give a perception of richness...giving way to much propina (standard is 10% of the total bill, some restaurants include it on the bill but if not good service, not mandatory to pay it)!!!
Sixth, lots of expats think that every person they meet are honest...beware they are not always local inhabitants, even banks can overcharge!!!

Finally, we, as expats, should try very hard to blend in our new welcoming country!!!

Adios, GyC.

Yes good points ,

I actually saw a teen in a hotel standing in the hall yelling at a porter " whats the matter with you people ? doesn't any one speak or understand English" I was extra nice to that porter after that.

I have been embarrassed listening to expats and tourists more than once. It's sort of like talking extra loud  to someone who is mute, or someone who doesn't understand you. Louder is not clearer.

I usually ask the driver what the taxi rate is if I take a taxi, because I didn't call for one but just hailed one. The taxi is there so why should I call the company when I can just ask the driver ?

As for propinas, when i have seen it added to the bill it has been 15%. I pay 20% usually because I admit I have a bias in favor of the service people who often go unnoticed. I have had friends and family who worked as waiters or maids and I know how it can be, so I pay 20% in the U.S. and here.  That may be 5% more than the going rate, but I will do it any way. It leads to big smiles and spectacular service by the way in the U.S. and here. I tip the baggers in the market also, because somewhere along the line that has become the expectation. I take my cue there from the locals that do it. In their defense the baggers in the market are usually very elderly.

I think taking your cue from the locals is an invaluable tool. that can be part of the blending in. Which i am pretty sure would be very difficult in an expat community.

As for honesty, like in the U.S. some are, some are not. I have seen a number of expats and tourists believing that most are not safe or honest message they got at home. They also tend to believe the lazy ,stupid and dirty myth, at least for awhile. You learn and adapt or you isolate.
I have had many occasions where someone has returned a lost item, or alerted me to something I misplaced, so my experience is that most people will not take advantage and they will pay extra attention if you speak their language and are polite and friendly.

Excelente! Nicely said. I think that some ExPats here have a sense of Noblesse Oblige and look down on Mexicans. Furthermore, they feel that they should be catered to.
I move around quite a bit because i do charity work in the Marginalized Communities and i hear stories about the Gringos. Some are quite embarassing.

There is a issue especially with seniors not speaking or understanding Spanish
I met a guy at the pharmacy he has lived in SMA 6 years and could communicate w the pharmacist

Hi Dr, Perna,

Did you mean to say could ? or did you intend could not ?

Just a point of clarification  :)

I suspect you meant to say could not, and I think that is much more likely in expat heavy areas.
Where I live I see few expats, but when I do they are usually communicating in Spanish.

On the other hand communicating with a pharmacist is sort of a double disadvantage especially if you don't speak or understand either Spanish or medicine ( which as you know has a language all it's own).

Unfortunately he couldn't and I translated for him

That is actually quite sad. Being that dependent is dangerous. He should remember, how not speaking English is looked upon in the U.S.
He should respect the country he is visiting. I suspect he should look up the drugs he is taking also. The "lots of people speak English" excuse is not realistic.

The most important thing to have in Mexico is to have respect for the people.

Definitely. Apparently in my case it was "don't bring a PURSE." I got my purse snatched off my shoulder while walking down a semi-busy street in broad daylight in midday in Zona Rio in Tijuana. I wasn't dressed skimpily or wearing any of what I consider expensive-looking jewellery, just one wedding ring and one cheap-looking (I think) tin watch from Wal-Mart, the $5.00 one. And then even though the police caught the guys and retrieved my purse, then THEY kept it for now going on over a week (as of this writing I still have not gotten it back from them) saying they need it to photograph as "evidence" - but what takes over a week just to photograph? This is because I speak English better than my "I haven't spoken Spanish since 1986" Spanish and people think "American" and pounce. Just like everywhere. Come here thinking to teach English to people who seem to exist to pick on and ROB anyone who speaks English! Like an "American" or rather "walking ATM machine"!!

Also. If you start out with staying at AirBNBs, don't just pick the cheapest one that's cheapest monthly without researching the area. Right now I've paid for a whole month out in what seems to be the boonies - it's not, but it's over in the east side in what looks terribly run-down and like an earthquake disaster area - so far what parts I've seen of both Juarez and Tijuana would make me think this whole country looks like the War Zone in Albuquerque. Right now I can't do anything or go anywhere because I'm waiting for a replacement passport, so I'm pretty much stuck in the apartment - there's nothing within safe walking distance in terms of buying anything except an Oxxo and I've never in my life done all my food shopping at places like that. So I'll just do without. There's a guy here, neighbour, who offers me rides to whatever I need to get "settled in" but is then overcharging me for each and every time I need to go anywhere, which is why I resign myself to WALKING even though that's not safe.

Maybe what I need to say is biggest mistake is don't come here (virtually) single and female? I actually "look" like a local (Oaxaca or south Mexico or Guatemala or Panama) so that may actually be part of the problem, they're treating me "like one of THEM." But like "American" at the same time and I'm IRISH. Don't come here speaking any English at all unless you're prepared to fight off being robbed! Of course I didn't SAY anything before my purse was snatched. When that passport gets here I'm going back to Ireland! I can teach English from my computer from the "safety" of an English-speaking country where I'm a citizen and have RIGHTS.

Not looking to be "catered to," just "don't steal my purse" and "keep your hands out of my purse" - that's not too much to ask anywhere other than, apparently, all three countries of North America these days!! Difference was, in the US and Canada both of those times earlier this same calendar year, it was Border Patrol and not some thief on the streets. I've now had that same purse snatched off my shoulder three times this calendar year the other two being at Border Patrol Canada and then later that same night, US Customs and Border Paranoia. After that second time, I swore to myself that the next damned MAN who touched my purse was going to have to knock me out for it! For strange men to keep their damn hands off of my purse is not me looking to be "catered to." Not in the least.

Know this is an old thread, but I  have found that family members who visit me here in Guanajuato  (high desert), are sometimes bothered by the low humidity.  I advise them to bring a saline nose spray.  Helps a lot.   Also, to make a transition or while travelling, eat yogurt daily, drink beer instead of water if in doubt and chew a Pepto tablet once-a-day. Dehydration can be a real problem, too, so drink LOTS of water (bottled if you're not sure about it....the drink beer, not water could be a problem in quantity!  Also the alcohol in it won't hydrate you.)

RE: mountain visits.  Be aware of the symptoms of altitude sickness.  It's not uncommon to experience a lack of energy, headache for the first few days at higher altitudes.  Take it easy! Your body needs to adjust.

I've seen a number of tourists take a tumble while trying to step back and focus for that perfect photo. Sidewalks and stairways are often uneven.  So I tell guests to observe the "Walk or Gawk" rule.  STOP to look around but watch where you're walking when you move.

Now to MY mistakes when I arrived 25 years ago!  Lots of them!!  The first would be  bringing too much of the U.S. with me, not "stuff", but mind set.  If you spend too much time negatively comparing how things are or how they're done in  Mexico vs.  how they are or how they're done in the U.S., you'll mire yourself in the quicksand of negativity and never be happy.  Nothing wrong with observing stuff, comparing, and noting it, but the judging part can stress you out.

I didn't speak a word of Spanish.  I'd plan ahead on how to go to a store and ask for something.  One day I needed a nut for a bolt.  Looked up the word.  OK.  "Tuerca".  Headed off to the hardware store.  "Tuerca Tuerca Tuerca..."  When I got there, these old guys were standing around the counter chewing the fat.  I marched right up there and announced to the clerk I wanted a "trucha".  Silence ensued, along with 3 pairs of bright old eyes turned on me.... finally snickers.  I had just asked for a "trout".  We all had a good laugh.  And yes, I did get my nut.

You're going to make language mistakes if you're not fluent in the language. A smile and pantomime can help a lot.  Don't expect your English to be  understood. That will put you in "the Ugly American" category instantly.  I've since learned, especially with auto parts, that the best thing to do is walk in with the old part and just say you want one of these. That's what the Mexican mechanics do, too.  Trying to translate something like a "rocker arm" is almost impossible unless you can find an English-Spanish auto parts dictionary! (Hey!  Let me know if you do!)

I'm still not grammatically pristine in my Spanish, but I get by in everyday life.  Learn as much as you can.  It will both enrich  your appreciation of the culture, and help you navigate the customs.

All for now!  Or this may turn into a book!

for P Kennedy.  Purse-snatching is something that happens all over the world, unfortunately.  I once rode a moped throughout Europe.  Learned that being on a crowded bus with even a daypack on your back was an invitation to thieves.   On a bus in Amsterdam, It was standing room only.  I was hanging from a strap.  At the next stop,after several passengers disembarked, someone tapped me on the shoulder and told me a man had stealthily unzipped the pouch on my pack and had begun rifling through it. Nice he told me afterward, heh?!  What he didn't know was that I'd come prepared for that.  The only thing I had put in that pouch was loose razor blades!

Shoulder bags are an easy target. I haven't ever been a victim of a purse-snatching, and I hope it won't happen, but there are a few things you can do to cut the odds.  Don't keep your valuables like passport or money, credit cards, etc. in there. I wear a pouch around my neck inside my shirt or a money belt if I know I'm going to be in a crowd. I carry a shoulder bag sometimes, but always on the building, not curb side.  I wouldn't want to be dragged away by someone on a motorbike!  Tuck the bag in front of you under your arm and stay alert. Still might happen, but maybe these measures will help.

One last paragraph on newbie mistakes.... some Mexicans may find it offensive when you call yourself an "American".  I know, I know, it seems perfectly natural to do so, but THEY'RE Americans, too.  Calling yourself an Estados Unidense is a mouthful.  Most commonly used is "Norte Americano" (a)

CasaColibri wrote:

One last paragraph on newbie mistakes.... some Mexicans may find it offensive when you call yourself an "American".  I know, I know, it seems perfectly natural to do so, but THEY'RE Americans, too.  Calling yourself an Estados Unidense is a mouthful.  Most commonly used is "Norte Americano" (a)

Funny, we just returned from the Maldives and my answer started out as "United States" and the response was "Oh, America".  In my mind I am thinking "North, Central, South?"  Oh well, finally I gave up and said, "California", which worked very well.

to jamesr

hee! guess it depends in part on the looking glass

CasaColibri wrote:

Mexico is in North America and in your comment they would also be offended if you called yourself a Norteamericano.

Most commonly used in Mexico is Americano for US citizens. Mexicans always use Mexican.when describing their citizenship never American or Americano.

Mexico´s official name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos -  the United States of Mexico.

America´s official name is the United States of America.

Along with Canada they both are in the continent of North America. All 3 citizens of these 3 countries live in the continent of North American but only USA citizens can call themselves Americans or when in Mexico Americanos. They can´t call themselves Canadians or Mexicans.

Some Mexicans and Americans do use the term Norteamericano and more use Estadounidense but many use Americano to describe Americans [US citizens]. All are correct and no one should be offended.

Duplicate post - deleted

Yes, alleycat.  Mexicans are North Americans,too,  Just passing on what some Mexican friends told me years ago.  Have heard savvy gringos just say "soy de (name your state)  That can spark interest and continue a discussion, too. "Oh yes, I have a cousin there!..."

Tipping.  Didn't know, for instance, that grocery baggers do not receive salaries in most stores, nor the guys who whistle you to back out of your spot in the parking lot, even if you don't need or want help. Tip them at least a couple of pesos, anyway.  If they help you load your stuff, tip a little more. Poor guys are hustling out there on their feet in a hot parking lot all day!