Mistakes expats make in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Mauritius? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Mauritius to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Mauritius? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Mauritius to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

MISTAKES MOVING TO MAURITIUS
(a) Change in everyday culture , London, Paris etc. are 24 Hour capital cities , Port Louis closes at 6 pm
(b) Checking Prices why do it you are no longer in the UK but are in a local economy, what you pay here is what you pay here and should not be compared to what you paid in the UK
ADDRESSING THE MISTAKES
(a) Time is a factor if you put up with the cultural changes then you start to forget what life was like elsewhere
(b) Compare prices on a local basis is Flora Margarine cheaper at JUMBO or WINNERS and not your supermarket at home in the UK.
HINDSIGHT
(a) Research events cinemas etc before thinking places are not vibrant like in UK
(b) work out a weekly budget for essentials and shop around sometimes the corner-shops in Mauritius are cheaper than supermarket if you have to go shopping by bus etc. forget the idea of price comparison to UK

TIPS

DRAW A LINE UNDER YOUR PREVIOUS LIFESTYLE AND START YOUR LIFE IN MAURITIUS WITH A BLANK SHEET AS IT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TO UK

Brilliant Response!!

Hello I'm Jennifer from Congo.my first mistake was about schools. For English student Mauritius is really not the right place for primary or high schools. students and teachers    don't communicate in English.  All the time In Creole and a little bit French. same for the medium private schools .Unless you go for international englisg school like Northfield.  American school etc... For that dear you have to put a huge budget per month.so if u got 4 kids like me aie aie good luck. Second mistake job market. It easier to get a good job abroad than in Mauritius.  So friends come here for holiday but not for the stay.For my side I'mplanning to go back.
But mauritius have very good universities.

Don't succumb to the incessant requests for money from people you get to know.

Absolutely spot on!!!

1)    do not expect locals, even the most cultivated ones to behave according to the socio-ethical code of the old world – concepts like “personal honour”, “gentlemen's agreement”, “loyality”, “keep your word at any price” etc. do not play a role in Mauritian ethics and tradition and breaking them whenever the situation calls for it is not considered too shameful. You might find exceptions to the rule but don't count on them. Mauritians have other advantages, so enjoy them but take it easy.
2)    When you fix an appointment with someone (meeting, invitation, delivery etc.) always “reconfirm” at least once. Appointments that have not been reconfirmed are often taken as mere “suggestion”.
3)      Do not get mad when the electrician/plummer does not turn up for the 3rd time and you have wasted your precious time waiting in vain…….try to anticipate the situation instead and have a nice book and a bottle of wine ready or make appointments with 2 more electricians/plummers which you can cancel at short term notice if necessary – no one will blame you. 
4)    NEVER criticise Mauritius or certain typical Mauritian weaknesses in conversation with a Mauritian and never contradict a Mauritian when he complains about the other communities, injustice, oppression, communalism, discrimination, even if you have a different opinion. You can tell him that you see things differently but that's it, don't bother to elaborate or you are in for serious trouble.
5)    Watch out if someone offers you to intercede on your behalf in official matters or to use his name in contact with authorities. While it is true that the right connections may go a long way in this country there are also many different fractions, parties, clans, animosities and also pretentious “friends” who overrate their influence so that their intervention may actually harm your case or at best you may end up feeling like a complete moron mentioning a name that no one knows.

It reads like a minefield!

thanks for the great advice

Sorry to say ich but I think you being to general in your comment. Not everybody is the same. I made different experience.

jennifer soobhug wrote:

Hello I'm Jennifer from Congo.my first mistake was about schools. For English student Mauritius is really not the right place for primary or high schools. students and teachers    don't communicate in English.  All the time In Creole and a little bit French. same for the medium private schools .Unless you go for international englisg school like Northfield.  American school etc... For that dear you have to put a huge budget per month.so if u got 4 kids like me aie aie good luck. Second mistake job market. It easier to get a good job abroad than in Mauritius.  So friends come here for holiday but not for the stay.For my side I'mplanning to go back.
But mauritius have very good universities.

What do you expect - Mauritius is not the UK or the US - the lingua franca  has been and is Kréol
Even in Kenya , if you want you kid to be unilingual ( English) - you sent them to Private International Schools.
Yes International schools cost a lot of money - just try Germany : 25K Euros per child  for day school or Canada $5-45 K ( day school to boarding)

Dude you should just not live in this country. I could not disagree more. Maybe you should just try to show them a bit of respect.