Mistakes expats make in England

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to England? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in England to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

I moved almost a year ago.
My biggest mistake was assuming everyone would be as nice and friendly as everyone back home. It was EXTREMELY difficult to adapt to the culture, (thought it would've been easier).
Just have an open mind, you will be meeting all different types of people, some good, some bad. Try not to let some peoples ways get to you, people are raised differently and grow up in vastly different cultures, and sometimes we have to accept that we simply will never understand!
For me Ive found it too difficult adapting to the huge culture clash, and will be returning to my country, not entirely for these reasons (I will start studying), but I can't tell you it wasn't part of the reason I decided to return. Also, Id like to add I moved here mostly because of my LDR relationship, and not for personal desire, that probably was a reason I grew discouraged as well.

Good luck with your journey, It is an amazing country filled with opportunity! xo

Oh man, I didn't realise how talkative Americans were until I moved here. People must have thought I was a crazy person talking to them in queues and on trains. I've since learned that it's best to just keep quiet. The only time talking to strangers seems to be a thing is when there's something annoying going on like a delayed train or a queue cutter.

Really all you can do is just smile and say sorry. Most people understand you're learning. :)

Yeah I agree with the above poster. Post people don't thing we are friendly and I would say many aren't and can come off as kind of rude. But I find people in London unfriendly as I said so it was pretty hard for me to adapt to that. But also, that's big cities in general I'd say. I'm from the greater New York area and for the most part people from NYC are even more unfriendly and rude.

Oh definitely. Londoners are probably the grumpiest of the bunch. When we go out to visit family in Wiltshire and Greater Manchester, the locals are much friendlier.

Interesting posts there. I'm planning to visit the southern parts of England, would they be a bit friendlier? The cities there doesn't look as big as London I guess.