Considering a move to Ho Chi Minh- Help please :)

Hello everyone,

I am a trained early childhood teacher looking to move overseas with my partner. I have been tossing up between cambodia/vietnam, and more recently thinking that Taiwan may suit our lifestyle better, but have noticed that there are better opportunities for teaching in montessori schools & preschools in vietnam over Taiwan. I was wondering if any one could give me an idea of what its like living in Ho Chi Minh and if its a good lifestyle?

Thanks

The pollution and traffic are the biggest problems. Many people like to live in Saigon, I dont. Its also rather hot and floods badly.

I think your question is too general and subjective. Suggest you make a list of must haves, nice to haves, and must not haves.  Include things like work opportunity, whether you qualify to work, visa, cost of living, city/town/beach? Hot warm or cool? Apt or house? One can go on and on. I assume you have been to Asia? The countries are all different. Vietnam living (just even food, culture, people, living standard) is very different from Cambodia. There is no 'one' lifestyle in any city. There will be a spectrum of options from rich western style to poor. Your impressions on the ground can outweigh your objective checklist. Moving somewhere is a big step. I first came on two separate trips, 1 week, then 3 weeks to nose around. When I moved here after a year of preparation, I gave myself one year to decide with an option to move back easily (ie I didn't sell everything, still had a car and house, but no job, in the US).

As far as school employment, ask specific questions for better responses!

Nomadlist has an overview.  There are others, most are shallow.
Google 'ho chi minh city blog' or 'saigon blog' or 'taipei blog' etc. for more subjective opinions.  There are some expat blogs too, however only few for Vietnam, tons for Thailand and PI. Overall bloggers have the best info.

After better part of a year in Saigon, I think it's a place you go to do business - not for the "good lifestyle", unless you consider chaotic, large-city-in-the-developing-world lifestyle "good".

I think one can have a "good lifestyle" no matter where one is, if one has enough money to do only what one wants, or sequester oneself in the comforts of an agreeable dwelling most of the time.

Agreed with others, that "good lifestyle" is a subjective matter, which varies sometimes even day to day.

If you were raised and lived your life so far in the developed world, my bet is that you would most likely find it difficult and expensive to make your lifestyle in Saigon what you would consider "good", or even healthy.

I think you would just have to settle for your own extensive list of pros and cons. I will only stay In Saigon for business reasons.

If you like a more quiet (and also cheaper) city to live in Vietnam, why not considering Da Nang, Nha Trang or Vung Tau?

Good is a subjective term. What is good to you? Ninety-five percent of the GDP of Vietnam comes from HCMC. So if you need to be close to a thriving economy, and it sounds as if you may ,as the smaller cities don't have the schools you seek. The wealth for the most part is in HCMC.