Schools in Ankara

I have a job offer in Ankara and am exploring the school options for my child before I decide to take it. There is a lot of information on international schools but I am wondering how common it is for expats to enroll their children in public schools. Is there support for learning Turkish at the public schools?

Hi

Depending on the age, Kids are mostly quick learners. They pick language more from the environment often rather than school system itself.  Regarding learning Turkish,  I think your kid will definitely find support/ pick it easy. That's what heard from most expats and I also found myself learning languages a lot quicker when I was a kid compared to the effort I put in learning Turkish now.

Having said that.. you should really be concerned about the medium of teaching  that the school is offering. In Turkey, a lot of things are offered in 'English' but once the payments have been made and the course starts, you realize that you had been misinformed.

I would suggest speaking to your kids' teachers before enrolling them in school. 

Hopefully this is helpful in some way. If you have any other question,  please feel free to post. 
Good luck
Z

You need to be really, really selective.
Unfortunately I know of a school (to which I wont name, names) that is branded with an international name and if you knew of how deplorable and unprofessional the school was, you would lose hope in humanity.  A lot of schools are borderline scams with a fancy name to draw in foreigners and hide a lot of the dark realities and cheapness of the school.

Do your research, meet with the teachers and ask around at what people think of it.  All the expats I know personally are barely married without children yet, but I do know that they tend to enroll them in TED (An American school) or in private schools.  I have never heard of a foreigner in public school because its really a gamble on how good that public school will be, not to mention potential bullying.

If you come up with any potential candidates I can do some research.  Best of luck though, if you have any questions let me know!