Info for moving to Scotland

I currently live in the USA and am planning on retiring in a  couple years. I have been to Scotland twice and love it. I also have Scottish ancestry. I have thought about moving there after retiring and I am looking for information on what is required. The area that I was thinking about was the Fort William, Fort Augustus area. I did find out that the retiree with independent means is no longer available.  Appreciate an information.

Hi tburrows, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to give you information that you required.

I wish you good luck,
Christine

Sorry I can't offer advice on retiring to Scotland. :(

The Fort Augustus area is beautiful, but did you visit in Summer or Winter?  There is a world of difference.  Can you cope with very harsh winters?

I know that for America, you can buy a house and live there for up to 6 months per year.  Perhaps they have a similar option in the UK ?

If it is JUST the scenery, NZ might be an easier option for somewhere to retire.   In many places it looks the same as Scotland.  It is a more expensive place to live, but at least you have sun all the year round.  And they have a high percentage of retirees here where I live so are geared for catering to the social needs of people over 65.  Not a lot of culture though. :/

I wish you luck in finding the information you seek.