country -- a veritable prisoner in KSA.

Now I cannot leave the country and have called
the US Embassy for help and it appears they cannot do
that  much to intervene.  Any suggestions?  (I feel like
Jean-Luc Picard before the Enterprise blows up.) I have a 90-day
visa that has not expired, but an Iqama card, too, which as I have
mentioned before mandates that I have an exit
visa from my employer. 

As a result, being between a rock and a vast desert, the size of Western Europe,
I'm wondering if I can smuggle myself out and go  through Bahrain when it's very busy and pretend that I just have a 90-day visa?  And if they don't check -- just  leave?

Where's Jason Bourne when you actually need him?

Strange that the embassy is not helping.  You can approach the labor office in your area and they can assist you with the exit process or getting your rights from the employer. If you have a 90 day - Exit re-entry visa you can leave to Bahrain, if not the only option is to check with the labor office and embassy again.

Thanks. The Embassy is only willing to talk to them, not sure there is any weight there. (They did not imply it, at all.)   In regards to Bahrain, I have the 90-day visa, but if they check they will probably find out that I have an Iqama and therefore I won't be able to leave.

Do you know how closely they check things here at the Bahrain border?

What is your understanding of the 90 days visa, I understood it as Exit Re - Entry. If you have this and your iqama with you,  both are needed for you to go to Bahrain and to get visa on arrival from the cause way border.