How to make friends in Guatemala

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Guatemala :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Guatemala??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I have only been in Guatemala for a couple of days and yes I do feel lonely already. Right now, I have everything working against me. My African color, dreadlocks hair, being able to communicate only in English. I doubt anyone's case can be worse than this. However, I am still optimistic about making friends here.

My first step is to learn the language and the culture. But before I can enroll myself into a spanish class, I practice with a dictionary and a 'English to spanish' book. I take walks in the neighburhood, use the supermarts and being able to say Buenas or Hola alone sometimes breaks down all the barriers. When a person rambles on in spanish (cause I'm sometimes mistaken to be Cuban) I politely say hablo ingles (i speak English) and use gestures in communicating instead. Generally, when people get the impression that you are trying to learn their culture/language, they are more open, friendly and willing to help.

Sometimes i get lucky and meet someone with half-baked English but that's Gold for me. it doesn't get better than that. The mall and other tourist areas are best to meet dual language speakers

How do I communicate with my host who speaks only spanish? Well, in the house I keep my laptop nearby and use online translators. Would not be doing any free advertisement for any of them but you can just surf the web and you'll get pretty good ones. Remember to use basic and simple phrases when translating.

Most of all.. keep an open mind

Hello Hotrodlx,

Thank you for writing.

Priority #1: Clase de español (check)
I have started taking Spanish classes. After 3 weeks, I must confess I am doing pretty well...…NOT! 
I am surrounded by English speakers at work which makes practicing Spanish slightly difficult but I manage.

Priority #2: Gimnasio (hmm… pending)
WhatŽs with Guatemala and Gyms? Lots of people have asked me to join a gym… Seriously people, IŽm not that big and IŽll like to think IŽm healthy! LOL

Priority #3: Local Church (check)
Funny, you mention “local church” and went on to prescribe an English speaking one.
This past Sunday though, I went to church for the first time, it was great! Casa de Dios (House of God). The services are in Spanish but overall it was an enjoyable experience. IŽll definitely look into attending Union church sometime but maybe attending a Spanish church would help with learning the language. (By the way, what made you think I was Christian?)

Priority #4: Coffee Shop (Yup! Definitely checked!)
Coffee shop, AH!! I have been to a couple… still looking. I usually just stick to the ones in the malls but a neighborhood coffee shop might be just the thing I need.

Priority #5: Helping people (Uh! Will see to that)
How do I help someone locked out of his/her car? IŽm no locksmith!!

Volunteering is a great hobby of mine, I love doing volunteer work when time permits. If you have some ideas on that, IŽd love to hear them. With my sarcasm above it might be hard to accept but these sure are great tips! You do know your “making friends for Dummies abroad” well
… Just kidding!:)

Sign up for an art class or something.  There are some pretty great ones VERY cheap in Centro Cultural Metropolitano, a beautiful art school sponsored by the City, surrounded by cafes frequented by artsy people.  You can find lots of information about all this kind of stuff in the blog elcentrohisterico.blogspot.com

I'd like to hear how you all are doing after nine months in La Capital.

Yo? muy fabuloso. mi español, ¡fantástico!

Sadly, I left in December but except for a few hiccups I had a great time in Guatemala and I am hoping to come back next year.

For 2010, I am on the other side of the world in West Africa

Hasta el próximo año!

hello Ebony,

Do you know somebody whom I can communicate with so I can be invited in Guatemala. I wish to go there by March 2014 and it will be a great help for me if I will be invited.

Thanks.

Hi lanceaguilar1997,

Welcome to Expat.com.

Please note that you have posted on an old thread (2008) and you may not have a response soon.

I suggest you to start a new discussion on the Guatemala forum. It would be nice if you could also give us more details about your project to go to Guatemala.

Thank you,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hey lanceaguilar1997. I'm currently residing in Guatemala and having been living here for the past three years. You mentioned something about someone inviting you. What exactly did you mean by that?

Thanks to you

Hola my nombre es Damaris pero
Me llaman Damy, estoy buscando a un amigo desde hace un buen tiempo lo estoy buscando se que vive en Guatemala y su nombre es Mauricio Rodríguez el es Nica tiene 2 hermanas y un Hermano llamado Julio perdí contacto desde que salí de Nicaragua hace ya 30 años y me gustaría saber como esta y que de su vida. Ayúdenme porfavor a buscarlo. Gracias

Hello Dlance and welcome on board :)

As this is the anglophone version of the forum, could you please write in english so that members can understand and interact with you?

Regards

Kenjee

Hello- I am Doug- came here to play table tennis( ping pong to most people) and a beekeeping project in lake Atitlan area where I know a mutual friend- I'm 71- renting a air B and B near the center of town in zone one-
If your free, we can meet for coffee
Doug

@MIssTrudy

Hi miss Trudy! Awesome suggestion. Do you live in Guatemala? I am traveling there in the next few weeks and really wanted to know where to go to and contact with someone
@Ponchito

Hi Ponchito,
I am coming to Guatemala in a few weeks and wondering places to go to and also places of worship. Do you know or can you help me?

@Ponchito Hae how is Gautemala doing I wanna come there Am from kenya 🇰🇪

Any friends in Gautemala who can help me and invite me there

I got a tourist visa from Nigeria, anybody there to assist for pick up entry.