Close

Home schooling

Just wondering how u go about home schooling my child  in Bulgaria as can't find much on line except it was legalized in sep 16 . Also would like it to b in English
Thank u for any advice or help u can give :)

What was legalized last year is that students who are home schooled can now take their 12th year exams in Bulgaria to prove their education and get their diploma. Most of those exams will be in Bulgarian, but whether your child will have to take them depends on whether you will be here or will return to your home country before then. I believe most foreign families that home school actually bypass the Bulgarian system completely by getting a yearly curriculum from their home country (the US has MANY curricula available, not sure about the UK) that they follow and send in to a governing board in their home country every year--- which will eventually result in a degree that is recognized by some universities but not all.

Hopefully someone with actual experience will jump in because that is just what I know from following the news about it. (Our littles are not in school yet).

We would like to know how to start with home schooling here in Bulgaria, as we don't like our daughters to go to school here.    They speak English and Bulgarian and they are at age of 10 and 7 years old.
Where do we get information  on how and what to teach the children, internet schooling, or what is needed to do all the administration to be in line according the law with Bulgarian home schooling.   I understood that it is allowed officially since 2016, but can't find any more information as the governmental institutions try to keep it away, due the lack of students at primary schools. 
Any links or information some one?      my email is;  xxx
hope to hear you soon as we received very angry phonecalls from people who told us to sign protocols or they would send us the police ?!

Moderated by Julien 2 months ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Lucimilena :

We would like to know how to start with home schooling here in Bulgaria, as we don't like our daughters to go to school here.    They speak English and Bulgarian and they are at age of 10 and 7 years old.
Where do we get information  on how and what to teach the children, internet schooling, or what is needed to do all the administration to be in line according the law with Bulgarian home schooling.   I understood that it is allowed officially since 2016, but can't find any more information as the governmental institutions try to keep it away, due the lack of students at primary schools. 
Any links or information some one?      my email is;  xxx
hope to hear you soon as we received very angry phonecalls from people who told us to sign protocols or they would send us the police ?!

If you don't know what or how to teach, you aren't equipped (right now anyway) to be homeschooling.  Successful homeschooling requires dedication and preparation.  As they say, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail!  While many people think it's a great idea, they (or the children) just aren't suited for it.  You have to consider not just covering the "curriculum" materials, but also finding extra activities for your kids where they can explore what they like and interact with their peers and have friends.

If you're already receiving pressure and threats of police, you might want to go ahead and send them to local schools for the time being since they speak the local language, until you can properly explore and prepare for homeschooling.

Some useful links though which can help:
Bulgarian Homeschool Association
HSDLA's Bulgaria Page

To go off of Kojidae's post, you can go under an "umbrella" school, like USA's HomeLifeAcademy or West River Academy, which is open to families worldwide of any nationality.  You technically have your kids enrolled at a "private" school for legal purposes, however you are allowed the freedom of homeschooling. 

You might also search for Facebook groups on this subject, local to Bulgaria...

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

thank you for your reply Romaniac, my wife is a teacher herself and we connected already with this organisations.

Expatriate health insurance in Bulgaria

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Bulgaria

Moving to Bulgaria

Find tips from professionals about moving to Bulgaria

Travel insurance in Bulgaria

Enjoy stress-free travel to Bulgaria