Moving to Veracruz in August, 2017

Hello,
I am planning to move to Veracruz (Xalapa) from Sweden to learn Spanish at Universidad Veracruzana this August. Although I am reading nice things about Veracruz, I see several news articles about violence there.  For e.g. http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/edit … 82313.html

How is life in reality there?

On  a related topic (kind of :))
Health insurance, is it better to get a local insurance or from Sweden?

also
How do I go about finding a place to rent? Any advice on areas that are safer?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Cheers,
Eswar

I've lived in Xalapa for the past 17 years and remember only one incident where there was a confrontation with a cartel gang and the Navy police won. Xalapa has rid itself of the local police a few years ago and replaced it with the state police and things got better. There have been conflicts but it appears to be from rival gangs and not involving citizens unless they are involved in the drug trade. So, to be safe, stay away from the drug trade and you'll be fine. There are a number of languages schools associated with the University. Which one are you attending?

Areas near  the University should be ok. Areas near the Museo de Antropología , Avila Camacho (either side) are good. There are listing in the Diario (local newspaper) to chose from. Probably the best would be to walk the neighborhoods where you would like to live and look for "Se Renta" signs on the houses.

Thank you very much for your help. The school that I am in contact with is Escuela para Estudiantes Extranjeros.

The area around Parque los Berros has some nice apartments and is a short walk to the school.

Perfect! thank you for the help.