New expat had a stroke

Can anyone offer some advise, friends of mine (unmarried couple in their 50's) moved to Malta last year, got their ID cards, home jobs, all was going fantastic for them. Then sadly 2 weeks ago HE had a massive stoke, rushed into Mater Dai, been left disabled, now still in hospital at St Luke's. He does not have control of all his functions yet, and recovery looks a long time off.
His partner is continuing best she can, holding down her job, she has been told she has to pay for the tables and medicines etc for her partner.
She would like to know if anyone has any ideas on how she can obtain any financial assistance, as a couple they managed both working, neither had health insurance as prior they were both healthy,
Can she claim any sort of benefit over here in Malta, or does anyone have any advise at all to give as to where she could obtain any crisis financial help. The U.K. Gov.uk has been looked into and they don't qualify for any assistance as they have settled here and both obtained ID cards.
They couldn't return to the UK as he cannot fly now, and neither have a home or family to go back to the UK
PLEASE HELP, THEY A LOVELY COUPLE, and it breaks my heart not being able to offer any sensible advice myself.

Were they paying NI ?

Two things i can help with

1. http://www.knpd.org/services/apply.html - once registerd as disabled there are more options availble to him including bus pass , blue badge etc  equipment help

2. He needs to ask hospital to provide them with the yellow card so they can go to st lukes and any medicines for his stroke etc he will get free of charge

Please pass on my dettails if they want someone to at least talk to.

BUT PLEASE ANYONE READING THIS : sort out health/life insuarance if your not working and you have a plan in place if something goes wrong - its too late onces its happened

Thanks for the advice, I've shown her your messages and she's going to look into the yellow card. I made a mistake he's was moved from St Luke's to "Keren Grech" hospital, it's going to take a long while to get his speech and body movements back.
For the moment she is managing to work and pay for his needs, but she will look into the link you supplied too.
If anyone else can help in any way, I will send all your help along to Sarah
Thanks

What's their background - maybe some local charities can help?

They ran a pub in the U.K. From my understanding they have no links or connections to any charities but I will forward your suggestions

Is the current hospital a private hospital?

Private health insurances are expensive , but your life is worth more...

the older you get the more expensive it becomes - so if you're not on state pension  make sure you get some healthcare cover that suits your needs these things happen everyday to ordinary people so take care and take precautions......

good luck

No not that I am aware they haven't the funds for private hospitals, and from my understanding it's not a very nice place to be in, apparently he is being encouraged to smoke as part of his "getting better" even though he has not asked for cigarettes. First time I've ever hear of a hospital encouraging that! ( he was a very heavy smoke prior to the stroke)

not smoking is usually the first thing you are asked to do after a stroke = so i too find that strange and unethical..

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : inappropriate comment

Really and you would know, this lady is supporting her partner and is under enough stress as it is your comments are neither useful or supportive, so please keep your accusations to yourself.
The hospital reason if you would like to know is they think nicotine withdrawal could effect his recovery, now please remove yourself

DanielDon wrote:
Dave&Rea wrote:

No not that I am aware they haven't the funds for private hospitals, and from my understanding it's not a very nice place to be in, apparently he is being encouraged to smoke as part of his "getting better" even though he has not asked for cigarettes. First time I've ever hear of a hospital encouraging that! ( he was a very heavy smoke prior to the stroke)

Thats utter shite. Encouraged to smoke. You lie

If you do not agree you do not have to call them liars!   Not very polite at all.

Dave&Rea, while I can admire your wanting to help others, I can also question how far you should take that wish to help.

Malta has a very well regarded public health system and ALL legal residents of Malta are entitled to coverage.  All EU citizens are also covered through the EHIC agreements.  So your statement that she is being told she has to pay, doesn't seem to make any sense.  If all you are referring to are 'tablets and medicines', then what you are saying is prescriptions are not covered.  Well that is not unusual in many countries.

The Maltese health system will treat him for his stroke.  They will not refuse him treatment including prescription drugs.  That prescription drugs are to be paid for simply means a debt will accrue.   Well lots of people have debts and guess what, it is their responsibility to pay them.  So I see no need to discuss his medical care at all.

When you say she is looking for financial assistance, my question is for what?  Your post plays on his health problem but in fact, he has no needs that are not being met.   

I suspect that the financial assistance she wants is not just to pay for prescriptions.

Dogeared wrote:

Dave&Rea, while I can admire your wanting to help others, I can also question how far you should take that wish to help.

Malta has a very well regarded public health system and ALL legal residents of Malta are entitled to coverage.  [color=#281eb1]All EU citizens are also covered through the EHIC agreements.[/color]  So your statement that she is being told she has to pay, doesn't seem to make any sense.  If all you are referring to are 'tablets and medicines', then what you are saying is prescriptions are not covered.  Well that is not unusual in many countries.

The Maltese health system will treat him for his stroke.  They will not refuse him treatment including prescription drugs.  That prescription drugs are to be paid for simply means a debt will accrue.   Well lots of people have debts and guess what, it is their responsibility to pay them.  So I see no need to discuss his medical care at all.

When you say she is looking for financial assistance, my question is for what?  Your post plays on his health problem but in fact, he has no needs that are not being met.   

I suspect that the financial assistance she wants is not just to pay for prescriptions.

Your statement, highlighted above, is incorrect, as a UK citizen resident in any country outside the UK your UK issued EHIC ceases to be valid.
As a UK citizen resident in Malta there are only 2 ways you can obtain an EHIC, either by paying contributions in to the Maltese social system and having a Maltese issued EHIC or having a 'Certificate of Health Entitlement' here in Malta obtained by the S1 route available only to UK citizens in receipt of a State pension and applying through the UK International Pensions Center.
There is no other way for a UK citizen to obtain a valid EHIC.

Ray.

Let me clarify, what she is asking for help for is ongoing financial assistance. As I said in the first post her we initially looked to the uk gov.uk. As you are aware in the uk there are carer allowance disability allowance etc. that is the financial assistance that she was looking for some sort of similar assistance for expats. She cannot claim these now as he was nor registered disabled in the uk prior to his move from the uk

Dave&Rea,

From what you've said; they were in Malta legally and were both working; if that's the case and they were paying into the Social Security fund, then they are entitled to support.  What and how much, I have no idea; this link will take you to the Maltese Government Social Security website.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : inappropriate

you may wish to apply for rent subsidy

https://housingauthority.gov.mt/en/Page … ences.aspx

TIP - apply for rent subsidy NOW - - fast and professional staff... Let me be clear on this - the maximum threshold for income is €23000 per annum as of Jan 2017 - nb this is single persons allowance OK. Please do not believe previous figures as they were prior to the changes that came into effect on the 1st Jan 2017
Got to be worth a punt and then a pint

Thank you. I will pass on your link

This may help too

https://www.facebook.com/notes/rent-adv … 7420848967

Surprisingly good service and confirmation that 23K is the income threshold. It takes 3 months for searches to be done but payments are backdated.
There is a sliding scale - minimum is I think about €80 per month and maximum €160.

Once again thank you, I will also pass this on.

Toon wrote:

This may help too

https://www.facebook.com/notes/rent-adv … 7420848967

Surprisingly good service and confirmation that 23K is the income threshold. It takes 3 months for searches to be done but payments are backdated.
There is a sliding scale - minimum is I think about €80 per month and maximum €160.

I assume that the threshold of €23,000 is the total income of all applicants living at the property combined.

Ray

Do geared - Let me remind you of the purpose of this forum.. It is to ask questions and recieve advice and suggestions from other regardless of the simplicity or in some cases stupidity of the question. It is a place where people can go to ask about anything without accusations.

It is not- as you seem to think it is a platform for you to judge other people lifestyle and choices. well done you and you wife have got yourself insured and settled -congratulations I wish you well in you judgemental home where you obviously believe yourself to be in a situation to pass judgement on others without knowing their full circumstances and facts.

I am NOT the lady in this situation, I'm a friend who is attempting to research as much as possible for her for the coming months and years, in both a financial and supportive direction while she cares for her partner, I don't know all her circumstances and I don't know why they haven't got insurance etc, it wasn't my place to ask, or pass judgement on.

If you have no useful or helpful suggestions of the circumstances she finds herself in and how her future looks from this point onward in both their lives, can I politely ask you to remove yourself from any further postings in this thread.

Dave&Rea wrote:

Do geared - Let me remind you of the purpose of this forum.. It is to ask questions and recieve advice and suggestions from other regardless of the simplicity or in some cases stupidity of the question. It is a place where people can go to ask about anything without accusations.

It is not- as you seem to think it is a platform for you to judge other people lifestyle and choices. well done you and you wife have got yourself insured and settled -congratulations I wish you well in you judgemental home where you obviously believe yourself to be in a situation to pass judgement on others without knowing their full circumstances and facts.

I am NOT the lady in this situation, I'm a friend who is attempting to research as much as possible for her for the coming months and years, in both a financial and supportive direction while she cares for her partner, I don't know all her circumstances and I don't know why they haven't got insurance etc, it wasn't my place to ask, or pass judgement on.

If you have no useful or helpful suggestions of the circumstances she finds herself in and how her future looks from this point onward in both their lives, can I politely ask you to remove yourself from any further postings in this thread.

Totally agree, in fact perhaps admin could look into Dogeard's rather vindictive posts and remove them and him from the Malta forum!

Ray

Dogeared wrote:

..... Cynic, you need to be more cynical and consider the typical Brit thinking in terms of 'entitlements' that they expect the government to pay for them.

Woh, lot's of assumptions going on here.  As a member of the Expat Team, I'll remind you of the T&C's of this Forum (link at the bottom of the page), in part, the requirement not to defame anybody.

Regards,

Cynic
Expat.com Team

simply report it as a non acceptable post guys  everyone is at liberty to do so  - The Expat Blog mods / admin will decide.

Hi everybody,

As Toon said, please feel free to report any inappropriate comments, the moderators will take care of them. :)

Do note that the member Dogeared has been banned, his attitude is not conform to our  code of conduct.

Our main target is to keep the forum secure and welcoming for our members.

Have a nice weekend everyone,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

sorry to say that Ive only just seen your posting ....
Are your friends still in the rehab at St Lukes? ... i mean the husband, of course!
My brother lives in Malta and had a massive stroke 2 years ago at my house in France. After 15 days in hospital we reutrned to Malta , Mater Dei then 3 months at St Lukes in rehab.  I spent months helping him, finding out things and worrying.
He is now home in Sliema with a part time carer and I visit him every 5 weeks for a week or so....
He is hemplegic but making progress slowly ... i have had to stumble around and find out a lot by myself
To help my brother. 
He is covered by the reciprocal agreement that exists  between the UK and Malta for health coverage.  He paid nothing at St Lukes.  Your friends have to be covered by this agreement. 
He is not yet eligible for the "yellow card" until he reaches 65.

Please let your friends now that they can contact me .... It's a very very tramatic experience and both of your friends lives are now changed forever .... My brothers life has  radically changed as has mine.
Im back in Malta 3rd week of april.
Let your friends know that I can meet up with them...

Thank you very much for your post. I will pass this to my friend Sarah.

Great ...

muffin17 wrote:

sorry to say that Ive only just seen your posting ....
Are your friends still in the rehab at St Lukes? ... i mean the husband, of course!
My brother lives in Malta and had a massive stroke 2 years ago at my house in France. After 15 days in hospital we reutrned to Malta , Mater Dei then 3 months at St Lukes in rehab.  I spent months helping him, finding out things and worrying.
He is now home in Sliema with a part time carer and I visit him every 5 weeks for a week or so....
He is hemplegic but making progress slowly ... i have had to stumble around and find out a lot by myself
To help my brother. 
He is covered by the reciprocal agreement that exists  between the UK and Malta for health coverage.  He paid nothing at St Lukes.  Your friends have to be covered by this agreement. 
He is not yet eligible for the "yellow card" until he reaches 65.

Please let your friends now that they can contact me .... It's a very very tramatic experience and both of your friends lives are now changed forever .... My brothers life has  radically changed as has mine.
Im back in Malta 3rd week of april.
Let your friends know that I can meet up with them...

now thats the sort of help we like here