Condo for airbnb any good?

Has anyone here bought a condo and rented it out through airbnb before?  If so, has it been a success?  We are thinking of buying a vacation condo and renting it out during the times we are not there.  We don't need to make much, but enough to pay for HOA/maintenance costs and maybe a bit for furniture depreciation.  Also, do you know where I can find info on fault lines in Cebu City?  I am looking at a 1 BR in Galleria or 2 BR in SRP (no ads pls).  Which would you recommend to airbnb based on experience?

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi ive read you post your looking in cebu right? Y not here in manila?

Hi Banyang22,

I am from Cebu. Me and my wife initially started Airbnb a year ago, starting with our own fully-furnished studio unit in A.S. Fortuna. I can say that it only took us a short amount of time to enjoy the benefits of our earnings with Airbnb. Our income from Airbnb basically covers the HOA, maintenance and utilities. However, if you plan to be an Airbnb host, you have to do a lot of initial legwork from choosing a reasonable property in a prime location, designing your unit to add better user experience, setting up a team or outsourcing cleaners, handyman, broadband installation and etc. Let me give you a tip, some developers are very strict when it comes to Airbnb leasing by homeowners. You might want to consider that first before buying. Overall, considering the growing tourism industry here in Cebu plus the ongoing future city projects and the national government's policy of decentralization - I can say that property rental is alive here in Cebu.

Cheers!